Surprise blue eggs

Depends on the cross. I’m guessing these are actually legbar hybrids. If the Devon bronze is laying blue/green, she’s not a Devon bronze.
Thanks for the info. It’s hard to tell which is laying the blues, that’s the problem :)

We certainly have less what i would call “normal” pink/brown eggs than expected as the 2 red speckled and the grey speckled were expected to lay that.

They only started laying last week so it is possible that the devon bronze may not be laying yet.

I’m suspecting that the grey hen is laying blue.

Thank you for your help, I had no idea that the blue layers could look so different from each other!

:) maybe tomorrow i’ll try and get some better identifiable photos of the ladies.
Agree you probably have some cream leg bar hybrids. Hard to tell in the photos but your birds that have a small crest on top of their heads are likely this mix. These will lay a blue/green egg. The birds coloring can differ depending on what other breeds were used in the cross. We love photos here on BYC! Welcome!😊

Agree you probably have some cream leg bar hybrids. Hard to tell in the photos but your birds that have a small crest on top of their heads are likely this mix. These will lay a blue/green egg. The birds coloring can differ depending on what other breeds were used in the cross. We love photos here on BYC! Welcome!😊
This seems likely. Here are the ones in question.

Sandy feathered one we were told was Devon Blue.
Black feathers: Devon Bronze
and the grey and red were described as “normal / golden speckled hens”

I wonder if the grey is an “easter egger”. But equally we have had no chestnut eggs so Devon Bronze (if that is her real name) is in the frame for being the secret “blue egg bandit” :)

Attachments

• EB8A76D7-B06F-458E-9CEF-E50C995DB6A3.jpeg
    EB8A76D7-B06F-458E-9CEF-E50C995DB6A3.jpeg
    681.9 KB · Views: 10
  • EF40B37D-21C6-4377-BD88-1FEE9604BA69.jpeg
    EF40B37D-21C6-4377-BD88-1FEE9604BA69.jpeg
    727 KB · Views: 10
  • 7277CB8E-717B-4DCC-BE53-134BFD1F0C4F.jpeg
    7277CB8E-717B-4DCC-BE53-134BFD1F0C4F.jpeg
    644.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 19A6C8CE-8B5A-46F7-AE0A-EB26AE1DCF84.jpeg
    19A6C8CE-8B5A-46F7-AE0A-EB26AE1DCF84.jpeg
    643.1 KB · Views: 10
This seems likely. Here are the ones in question.

Sandy feathered one we were told was Devon Blue.
Black feathers: Devon Bronze
and the grey and red were described as “normal / golden speckled hens”

I wonder if the grey is an “easter egger”. But equally we have had no chestnut eggs so Devon Bronze (if that is her real name) is in the frame for being the secret “blue egg bandit” :)
They look as advertised (marans hybrid, RIR hybrid, and BR hybrid) except for the last one, which you already know is laying colored eggs. Strange.

They look as advertised (marans hybrid, RIR hybrid, and BR hybrid) except for the last one, which you already know is laying colored eggs. Strange.
Actually, the I think the grey speckled is supposed to be a marans hybrid too, but your hen doesn’t have pink/white legs like they’re supposed to. She may be the other one laying colored eggs.

They only started laying last week so it is possible that the devon bronze may not be laying yet.

You can usually tell who is laying by checking their vents (the hole where eggs & poop come out.)

If a hen's vent looks large and moist and stretchy (like an egg could fit through it), she is laying.

If a hen's vent looks small and puckered up, she is not laying yet. (Roosters and young chicks have vents that look the same as hens that are not laying.)

This seems likely here are the ones in question.
You can usually tell who is laying by checking their vents (the hole where eggs & poop come out.)

If a hen's vent looks large and moist and stretchy (like an egg could fit through it), she is laying.

If a hen's vent looks small and puckered up, she is not laying yet. (Roosters and young chicks have vents that look the same as hens that are not laying.)
:)
I think i’ll try a gopro in the nest boxes first :D

Actually, the I think the grey speckled is supposed to be a marans hybrid too, but your hen doesn’t have pink/white legs like they’re supposed to. She may be the other one laying colored eggs.
Yes i’m moving towards the grey speckled being the blue egg bandit. I’ll see if i can catch her on candid camera over the next few days

Back
Top Bottom