Surprise chick got attacked while hatching

ChickenFox

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 5, 2013
West Virginia
I've noticed one of my bantams has gone broody and have been removing the eggs she keeps collecting. Well I must have missed one because when I went out today there was a chick part way out of an egg! It looks like somebody had been attacking it as his beak is all bloody and has a chunk hanging off the tip and he also has some wounds on one of his wings. :( Poor thing. I brought him in and fired up my incubator. He finished hatching an hour later but he still has dried blood all over his face and wing and one eye is slightly swollen. Any tips for caring for him? I tried to clean his face a bit but he acted like it hurt every time I tried to gently clean him. He's gaining some strength and has been doing alright for a few hours but I've seen hiw fast they can take a turn for the worst. Sorry if this looks all jumbled up, I'm using my phone at the moment.

It's not so big. Just the tip and a little of the side. I'll have to get some pics when I get home today. I actually found another egg that had pipped and was trying to hatch that I put in the bator with him. At least he won't be lonely. Turned out I had a secret broody. One of my silkies had a couple eggs buried in the bedding in the corner I hadn't seen. And I guess where it's been so warm they still developed even when she was out and about.

Ok here's a few pictures of the damage...

Here's a picture of his buddy that hatched while I was at work today.

He doesn't look too terrible, he should be fine. Just monitor it to make sure it can eat and drink well. But people routinely take off much more in a process called debeaking.

He hasn't eaten or drank yet but then again he's only 24 hours old. I feel so bad. He wasn't even completely into this world yet before he was attacked. :( I'm just glad I found him before he was killed. I'm going to try to clean him uo again tonight. Maybe get some of that dried blood off his beak without causing any fresh.

Back
Top Bottom