Surprise! Chick hatched

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SkenderLake, Sep 7, 2014.

1. SkenderLake

SkenderLake Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Knox County, IL
    While we were on a weekend vacation, one of our hens went broody and started the process. We let it play out and I expected to have some chicks later in the week. Well, the first one hatched today. Life's been busy and I haven't had time to do much research.

We have a fairly small coop - 8x10 (7 hens and 2 roosters....will be 1 rooster in a few days) and the nesting boxes are about 3 feet off the ground. My plan was to wait until after the chicks feathers dry and it gets a little stronger (later tonight?) and put it in a brooder, like we did with chicks we purchased. There's still one more egg to hatch, by the way.

Because the nesting box is off the ground and the other chickens would probably be aggressive, I figured the brooder would be the best plan. Am I correct in thinking this? I can't see little chicks surviving in the open with this group.

I'm not a chicken expert, but given store-bought chicks are recently separated from hens or hatched in incubators, I figure my plan is the logical thing to do. Now as far as how the hen will react, I don't know.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. justin24

justin24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    You can take the chickens but the hen will be searching for them u mite just want to put all of them in the brooder the hen my try to sit again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by