Surprise chick in shipment

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ArizonaNessa, Apr 18, 2009.

1. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    I got an order of red sex link chicks. Everyone is absolutely wonderful. Everyone looks just the same, just the way they are supposed to but I have one that does not fit and I think it fell in my shipment box by mistake. I would normally assume it to be an accidental roo since I ordered all pullets. This can't be a roo and it just does not fit. I wish I had a pic to show but I do not.

My question is what other breed has a comb like a wyandotte? This birds comb is small as a pullet should be but its different than the other birds. This comb looks like a wyandotte comb and the bird has yellow legs and feet. Clean legged. Feathering looks just like partridge but not dark. The colors are white, tan, and black in a partridge pattern. Very pretty but not a red sex link male or female. I hate having "i don't know" birds. LOL

Any guesses?

2. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Why can't it be a roo?

3. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    It is not a roo. They are old enough now that I would be able to tell the roos from the pullets and I ordered all pullets. I know sometimes a roos falls into the order but they are full feathered and have been outside for quite sometime. I just wondered what breeds it could possibly be that way I could look up pics and compare to figure it out.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Photos?

5. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Where did you order from? There are some hatcheries that will give you freebie roo as an extra "free gift" unless you specifically ask them not to. I've got a few roos that I was absolutely certain were pullets--- their combs are small yet they are crowing and mounting the hens. Some breeds don't have very distinguishable combs and they're tricky [​IMG]

Quote:

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Vanessa, do you think it could be a diluted EE?

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    From the BYC Rules:

* Be friendly and courteous to all members at all times.

~Lisa~

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2009
  8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Azcknldy, is there any way you can get a pic for us and upload it to BYC?
    With questions like this, it's way easier for us to help if we know exactly what the bird looks like.

I understand if you don't have a digital camera or didn't have time... but if you can get a pic, it really would help. [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

We'll need a picture to be able to help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by