Surprise chickens!

ABS9590

Songster
6 Years
Feb 18, 2016

Hopefully I did it right this time and the images are visible.
The first one i think is a light brahma, and the second one I was told is a barred rock, but not sure.

This guy was a 'packing peanut', but he has an awesome temperament, so I'm keeping him.

I thought this one was my Ameraucana rooster, but according to google its an Araucana and not the same thing

This one looks a bit like my Rhode Island Reds, but she's not exactly the same, however, that could possibly be due to age difference.

Rhode island red for comparison

I have two of these beady eyed little weirdos and I'm dying of curiosity as to what breed they are. They're very smart and fast.
Any help determining breed is very greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

first off, don't ever trust google for chicken breeds. The only safe place to get breed info is a breed club or association website.

If the first bird has feathered legs and a pea comb, it's a light Brahma
second looks like a barred Rock, if it has a straight comb
third looks like a buff Orp
fourth looks like an Easter egger cockerel
next two are hatchery Rhode Island reds/production reds
not sure what that gamey looking black bird is. What was marked on the the packing slip, and where did you order from?

I ordered from ideal hatchery, and it was a surprise assortment.
The rhode island reds came from a feed store, because I seem to have chicken fever.
Thank you for your help!

welcome-byc.gif

first off, don't ever trust google for chicken breeds. The only safe place to get breed info is a breed club or association website.

If the first bird has feathered legs and a pea comb, it's a light Brahma
second looks like a barred Rock, if it has a straight comb
third looks like a buff Orp
fourth looks like an Easter egger cockerel
next two are hatchery Rhode Island reds/production reds
not sure what that gamey looking black bird is. What was marked on the the packing slip, and where did you order from?

X2
Ideal has a few different possibilities for the black birds, it will be more evident once they mature a bit more.

agree with donrae and OlGreyMare- I don't think your weirdos - at least the one showing, is beady eyed at all. I think nice eyes.

Lol thank you:lol:
How much more do they need to mature before I will know? I'm impatient!
I emailed ideal, but that was probably a long shot.

Hopefully I did it right this time and the images are visible.
The first one i think is a light brahma, and the second one I was told is a barred rock, but not sure.

This guy was a 'packing peanut', but he has an awesome temperament, so I'm keeping him.

I thought this one was my Ameraucana rooster, but according to google its an Araucana and not the same thing

This one looks a bit like my Rhode Island Reds, but she's not exactly the same, however, that could possibly be due to age difference.

Rhode island red for comparison

I have two of these beady eyed little weirdos and I'm dying of curiosity as to what breed they are. They're very smart and fast.
Any help determining breed is very greatly appreciated :)
Looks like the second one might be a cuckoo Maran but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
How do I tell the difference between a cuckoo maran and a barred rock?

Back
Top Bottom