SURPRISE CHICKS

dannyisforreal

Songster
10 Years
Jun 22, 2013
LOST
One of my older chickens has just surprised me with baby chicks! I am very existed!! However the broody is in my barn and the temps are around 50 degrees and going to lower in a few weeks should i take them away from their mom or will they be ok under them? I don't have a head count because the rooster is not fond of me messing with the hen. and the hen isn't fond of me messing with her. Please answer

I would take them in and put them in a brooder and under a heat lamp. It is best for chicks not to grow up with their mother, as the other chickens will pick on them witch can result to death or serious injury. So nice to have a surprise! Good luck!

I would take them in and put them in a brooder and under a heat lamp. It is best for chicks not to grow up with their mother, as the other chickens will pick on them witch can result to death or serious injury.

:hmm

The mother is perfectly capable of keeping them warm and most have no trouble keeping their chicks safe from the rest of the flock. Growing your flock this way is the most natural and normal thing in the world. Leave them be unless there is an actual reason you can't.

:hmm

The mother is perfectly capable of keeping them warm and most have no trouble keeping their chicks safe from the rest of the flock. Growing your flock this way is the most natural and normal thing in the world. Leave them be unless there is an actual reason you can't.

X2. Hens have been raising chicks forever and it's certainly easier then brooder raising them.

I'd leave them with the mama. She'll keep them warm, make sure they have food and water and teach them how to be chickens. I've done it both ways, and broody-raised chicks just seem to do better. Especially if you can integrate them in with the flock right away. Mama will protect them, they'll learn proper flock manners, and if something happens to the mama, they'll already be accepted members of the flock. (This happened with my chickens this summer) Broody-raised chicks also seem to be more predator savvy than ones raised by people.

Unfortunately i can't find any of the chicks. Though the mom is around and i see her. I don't think they survived. I think it was the cold or the rooster.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom