Surprise! Cuckoo Marans instead of Ply Barred Rock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dutchess, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

Can someone tell me when Cuckoo Marans usually start to lay? I have two that, according to the seller, were Plymouth Barred Rocks and are about 25-28 week old. They turned out to be Cuckoo Marans (white legs) and I wouldn't be surprised if they were a little younger than stated [​IMG]. Their combs and waddles are just barely pink and not very big either. Thank you in advance!

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    My Cuckoo Marans are the biggest girls I have...Duh, I didn't read it's the combs. Never mind...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  3. Dutchess

Quote:I like your title, it made me giggle when I read your post! [​IMG]

4. crazy4spurs

crazy4spurs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    My Cuckoo Marans started laying at 19 weeks....I bought what I thought was 10 Cuckoo Marans...and was surprised to find that 3 of my girls are Barred Rocks....they have the yellow legs:) Wanna trade? hehehe [​IMG]

5. sunnyvera

sunnyvera Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I wish I had Marans. I picked up (what I was told) were Cuckoo Marans, turned out to be Barred Rocks. Nice birds, but the eggs are waaaay different. Oh, well, live & learn. Hatchery birds are not always what they should be.

6. MOChickenz

MOChickenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Missouri
    I got surprise BCM in a hatchery assortment. They didn't tell me what any of them were, and this breed was unfamiliar to me. All of a sudden I started getting these GORGEOUS dark brown eggs and figured out what they were.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You should expect them to lay any time now, however the comb/wattles makes it sound like you'll probably need to wait another week or two, sorry.

8. Dutchess

Thank you all for your replies! I am looking forward to the dark brown eggs, and the pullets seem to be nice birds. They have been with me about 6 weeks and the "seller" told me they should be starting to lay in about a week or so...so six weeks later? [​IMG]
    Live and learn! One of my fav sayings. Thanks again everyone and happy egging!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by