Surprise!!!!! Ducks hatching outside! 1st pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WriterofWords, Oct 21, 2008.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I got home from work and found 2 baby ducks, and about 7 eggs trying to hatch under an inexperienced duck. I have the eggs inside and a baby I had to hatch because it's egg was crushed. I didn't think those eggs were fertile! This is one of Whitey's babies who is hatching her eggs.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Wow! Thats exciting. Wen do we get to see pics? [​IMG] congrats on the ducklings.

3. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Soon! I'm worried about the two she hatched, they both have injuries on the backs of their heads like she tried to pull them out or something. We'll see what happens. I have to get rid of some ducks now, that will be way too many!

4. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I don't know the story of Whitey or anything about her mate. What colors are they? When my pekin ducklings get hurt i just put some antibiotics on the wound and cake it with cornstarch. The other birds can't tell the difference between the baby fluff and the cornstarch so the wound is protected from chickens. Take the ducklings to the feed store. It seems people are always looking to buy ducklings. Good luck!

5. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Whitey was my White Pekin hen who was constantly getting egg bound. Her legs would stretch out behind her and cramp and I'd have to sit with her in a warm towel and massage her until she expelled the egg. One night she got bound under a bush and I found her the next day. She looked like was sleeping, and I guess she was, but she didn't wake up this time.
    This daughter of hers is a cross between her and the Mallard Emeril. She is black though with white on her chest, she's beautiful! The babies will be hers and either the Mallard or Runner's babies.

6. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Four babies so far, there were 5 but one got shoved out and it was cold last night. I found it this morning and Pudster was laying with it trying to warm it up I think, but it was too late. I took the rest inside for now and they are in the bator keeping warm with the eggs still hatching. There are three eggs left that are almost hatched.

7. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Not a real good pic, but here is six of the babies. There are actually 7, but one is still in the bator, just hatched a few minutes ago, I had to hatch it, it was shrink wrapped! Looks like the Mallard is the daddy to all of them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  8. OzarkCountryGirl

OzarkCountryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    Congrats on your new ducklings! [​IMG]

I can hardly wait for ours to hatch...they've only been under the hen for 10 days, so we still have a while to wait. [​IMG]

9. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yay! Those are beautiful babies. What a great surprise.[​IMG]

10. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Those are nice!! Ducks are so cute!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by