1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Surprise early chick!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gryeyes, Feb 26, 2011.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have chicks of several different ages in brooders in the bathroom. Some should have been put outside right around now, but there's a really cold snap and although that bunch has been without a heat lamp for quite some time, they have been INSIDE with a nearby brooder that does have a heat lamp on it. We're due to get some below-freezing temps tonight (and last night was one, too); I just think it would be too much of a sudden temp change for 'em.

Sitting here at the PC, I hear some "not very happy" peeping, and think I should go check on the littlest babies in their brooder in the bathroom. All the chicks look at me like "Whut?!?! We've been good!" After spending some time with my babies, I come back to the PC.

On my way, I hear the same "not very happy" peeping. Hmmmm.

There are six incubators with eggs in 'em in my guest room. Lockdown is due tonight (I tend to set eggs late in the evening so I do lockdown late in the evening too) for two of the 'bators. One is an Octagon20 Advance EX unit and the other is a MiniAdvance with the few eggs that didn't fit in the Octagon. Gold-laced and silver-laced cochins.

And in the MiniAdvance, there is a fully hatched chick! Whoa! Hello, early chick!!!

[​IMG]

Plus another egg has quite a large pip starting. Guess I need to lockdown that 'bator right NOW this instant, huh??

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

How CUTE is that????

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Awesome [​IMG] Cute chick!

4. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Soo cute. Even got the awww reaction from my husband. [​IMG]

5. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Good Job! Really cute. I think I have one coming out early too. Whats with this? Cracking the shell today and it was put in the bator on February 10.

6. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Nice! What a great surprise. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. gryeyes

Well, boy howdy! Stand back! All three eggs in the MiniAdvance have hatched! Two last night, and one this morning. Their sibling eggs in the Octagon20 went into lockdown last night (as scheduled) and there are no pips on any of those 24 eggs.

8. Kavellion

Kavellion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    Drummond, OK
    What temp is your mini advance set to? I have a mini advance also.

9. gryeyes

10. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    I love that! [​IMG] I have 19 scheduled to go into lockdown tomorrow morning, maybe I'd better wash down the brooder tonight - you never know! Congrats on your babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by