Surprise Eggs in the Winter

ALennard

Hatching
Jan 20, 2019
Hi!

We have a chicken that surprised us by laying a random egg in January. We don't provide extra light in the winter months. Should we be concerned? Or just happy we got a surprise egg?

Our little flock of two has had their routine really thrown off after a raccoon attack. They were moved inside for a while one recovered from some serious wounds, and about a week ago were moved back outside, now with a small heat panel in their coop. But our understanding was that egg production had to do with light more than temperature.

Thanks!
Angee

I have hens that lay through the winter, and some of my older hens molted and resumed laying back in November. Egg production can slow down, and some hens quit completely for a few months. In my experiences feeding enough protein will help them to continue laying. Hens need a correct diet to have the energy to stay warm and produce eggs. I recommend feeding a 18-20% ration year round and limiting extras to optimize production.

Hi Angee!

What type of breeds do you have and how old are they? Sometimes younger hens lay through the winter once they are done molting for the season. Also, depending on where you live in the world, the days are actually getting longer signaling the hens to start up production again. There are also some breeds that lay most of their eggs in the winter (brahmas come to mind) So these are all things to consider and nothing to be concerned about- I myself am in NY and my 1 year old easter egger laid me an egg this week so I could have a fresh egg for breakfast!

The injured chicken has been given lots of treats to help get her weight up, and so the healthy chicken has benefitted from the extra treats too. If I understand, these extra calories might be the culprit?

We know there are ways to keep chickens laying eggs year round, but neither laid eggs all last winter and they stopped this winter back in October. We are in Chicago, so we've past the equinox, but days are still pretty short. Last year, they didn't resume laying eggs until maybe March/April.

Our Americana laid the egg, and we also have an Australorp. Both are about a year and half old.

It sounds like I shouldn't be too concerned, and should just keep an eye on the coop to make sure the eggs don't freeze (assuming she keeps laying more).

The injured chicken has been given lots of treats to help get her weight up, and so the healthy chicken has benefitted from the extra treats too. If I understand, these extra calories might be the culprit?

We know there are ways to keep chickens laying eggs year round, but neither laid eggs all last winter and they stopped this winter back in October. We are in Chicago, so we've past the equinox, but days are still pretty short. Last year, they didn't resume laying eggs until maybe March/April.

Our Americana laid the egg, and we also have an Australorp. Both are about a year and half old.

It sounds like I shouldn't be too concerned, and should just keep an eye on the coop to make sure the eggs don't freeze (assuming she keeps laying more).
What are you feeding? Did you notice them molting last fall? Treats can help but a balanced ration is always best. A bit of scratch daily can help the keep fat on for winter, but too much fat can be deadly.

Congrats on the surprise egg! I have been pleasantly surprised in the last few weeks that my two born-in-September Sapphire Gems have decided to lay; I expected to see my first eggs from them in the spring. One of my Salmon Faverolles has continued to lay all winter while her sister, same age, same breed, same coop, has not. All my other girls are on winter break.

My big surprise this week was when one of my runner ducks -- none of whom have laid in weeks -- decided to drop a big, beautiful duck egg. Unfortunately, she decided to wait until they were out of the shelter for the day, and rather than lay it on the nice, fresh, warm pile of clean straw, she dropped it right on the snowy, frozen ground. Where it promptly froze to the earth. I managed to pry it loose, but there was a crack from one end to the other.

Today, it is 6 degrees out, and I am checking the coops about every hour. Only the Fav has produced today. Isn't it great to have a farm fresh egg when spring feels so far away? It's totally worth having to throw on a coat, boots and gloves to save an egg or two.

Welcome to BYC Angee! Hope your raccoon problems are a thing of the past!!

What are you feeding? Did you notice them molting last fall? Treats can help but a balanced ration is always best. A bit of scratch daily can help the keep fat on for winter, but too much fat can be deadly.

They did molt in the fall. The one that was injured we've given anything she would eat for awhile (dried corn, oatmeal, pumpkins seeds, grains, sunflower seeds, bread, watermelon, meal worms) until she began showing interest and was able to eat regular food. But now she's back to regular food plus extra scratch rations.

I'll be curious to see if we keep getting eggs all winter now! Thanks everyone!

I am new here and only in my first year with chickens but our chickens have continued to lay all year. They are spring 2018 chicks. We still get our normal 5-7 eggs daily and it has not stopped. Everything I had read and from my daughters experience who had chickens for several years, I thought they would stop laying during the winter. Glad they didn't as it helps keep us and friends and family with eggs!

They are spring 2018 chicks. We still get our normal 5-7 eggs daily and it has not stopped. Everything I had read and from my daughters experience who had chickens for several years, I thought they would stop laying during the winter.

They're laying well because it's their first year. Next year, assuming you don't supplement lighting, they'll either lay at reduced rates or stop completely. I've never had a hen (1+ yr) lay during winter, as we have greatly reduced sunlight hours during winter.

Back
Top Bottom