Surprise! Fertile Cayuga eggs....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by arcyjae, Mar 15, 2015.

1. arcyjae

arcyjae New Egg

Mar 15, 2015
    Woah, surprise this morning... One of our ducks has been sitting on a nest, and this morning I discovered that the eggs are fertile and developing! It looks like they are somewhere between 6-8 days along. We only have one male duck, and we thought he hadn't quite figured it out yet, but apparently he has. We've never hatched eggs before, so I would love some help.
    Mama duck leaves the nest in the morning when I let the flock out of their barn. She covered the eggs up slightly with down and wood shavings. I've just put food and water nearby, so hopefully she won't have to leave as much. I had read, though, that when birds go broody, they go kind of dormant, and won't eat or drink much until the eggs hatch. She definitely is enjoying getting out and stretching her wings in the morning. Will the eggs suffer from her being away for a bit? She left them for less than a half an hour this morning.
    We don't have an incubator, and I'd like to let her raise the ducklings herself. I've heard, though, of mama ducks abandoning the nest before they hatch. She's a cayuga, which Metzer Farms describes as "fair" mothers.

I'm also wondering if repeated candling (with a very bright flashlight) does damage to the eggs. Should it be limited?

We originally purchased "female" ducks, so it was a surprise when we ended up with one male! We never expected to end up with hatchlings. I'm doing some research now, but would appreciate any words of wisdom!

2. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    They should be fine. Mama's usually leave the nest once a day to eat, drink, poop, and stretch their wings. The eggs should be fine with the candling as long as you are not disturbing the mom while she's sitting. I hope it all goes well good luck [​IMG]

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hey there! Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you decided to join! Let us know if you have any questions, we will be glad to help you if we can. [​IMG] There is a lot of great info on here, and lots of very knowledgeable people, so I'm sure you'll be able to find any info you may be looking for. [​IMG] Congrats on those eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by