Surprise hatch!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlisa, Jun 16, 2008.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    I have my 5 Silkie eggs from Marie in an egg carton- day 20 1 is pipped the other 4 aren't yet. But I also have 7 Guinea eggs- day 24 in the turner still (on the other side of the bator-divided by hardware cloth from the hatching eggs) and 1 little guinea hatched so fast tonight- 4 days early! I know its day 24 for them, so not sure why it hatched so early and when it was still turning.
    I'm not sure what to do with the other 6 guinea eggs now though- keep turning them til tomorrow then put in the egg carton to hatch or take out of turner tonight? What a little peeper though- we can hear this one from the other room- so loud!
    We'll call it "Early Bird"...
    Lisa

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    If I know where those eggs come from, they may hatch anywhere from now till day 29, so I would take them out of turner.

3. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    What do you mean- where they come from? You mean the person I got them from? Why would they hatch early?...Should I take them out of the turner tonight?

4. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    I ended up taking them out of the turner last night...how does where they come from affect when they hatch though? Why would some guinea eggs hatch out on day 24 and others day 28-29? The early bird is doing great BTW- 2 silkie babies from Marie hatched out very early this morning too. So there are 3 babies in there with about 9 eggs to go....
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by