Surprise !Help quick!1st Baby goose hatched, stinks,brooding,aarggh!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by mominoz, May 10, 2011.

1. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Surprised ! Geese were in broody mom's pen , I saw movement and an egg with some shell off next to the 2nd female who was sitting next to the broody on the nest. Everyone hissed at me. I realised there was a baby!.I shewed the 2 ganders and extra female out. Picked up the egg. Grabbed the baby, flies everywhere. Stinks to high heaven. Grabbed baby and returned the egg to nest. But didn't have time to check it. Noted about 1/6 of the shell is missing.Didnt' take time to see if it was alive or not. But put under mom, figuring best place. Don't know if it was bdc and she showed it out. Or if the other geese had a hand in it. (They are only 2,first hatch Tufted Buff). I had a brooding bin ready --because tomorrow my Holderread 2nd batch of ducks and one of the Shetland geese are coming like 6am.[​IMG]...
    I also have an extra damaged (foam was cracked I taped it) Hovabator I was going to set up for a hatcher.So I hurriedly got it out and turned it on. But it may take a while to get to temp?and have to figure out humidity? if any. This is my first baby hatch.( Last year the eggs just disappeared.)
    Ok. He stinks. Do I rinse him off with warm water or leave him stinky? He is just laying pretty still, and he was wet , so I assume he had hatched recently. No baby at lunchtime.
    Should I go back and get the egg with the shell off or leave it with her. I do have an incubator with duck eggs in it....but I'd rather let her hatch it. but maybe it was the stink? Should I go take her off the nest to see what is happening or leave her alone? Should I return her gander to the night pen or leave her alone?
    I do have my goose book by DH. But my first hatchling.
    [​IMG]

Since I have babies coming 6am and this one has the brooder I set up----should I , can I move him to the incubator and what temp? like 95? Humidity....and do you think I can stabilize it in the next 3 hours (cause I want to sleep tonight?)[​IMG]

2. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    oh gosh thats a prediciment i dont know but this can serve as a bump to

3. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Well, I went out and checked the goose. She only has 2 eggs under her and lots of smashed shell fragments. One of the eggs has some shell off of it,and the membrane has a hole in it.The other egg is intact fromwhat I can see. She started to move around ,stepped on egg , so I left her alone.
    I decided to immerse the baby in around 100 degree water for a bit. It seemed to drink a bit too, and revived some from that, then I wrapped him in towel and put him back under light. I remember Dh book told a storey of reviving ducklings by immersing them in very warm water for a bit. Besides that smell had to have lots of goo and bacteria on it, can't see how he could fluff out ....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by