Surprise in the coop, new chicks!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kidd51, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Kidd51

Kidd51 New Egg

Jan 12, 2012
    After purchasing two different flocks of chicks, our first from a hatchery 2 years ago, the second from the feed store last year. Since we had some roo's in the mix last year I decided that when a hen went broody I would let her sit on the eggs. Well our silkie hen went broody so I left her eggs under her, and slipped in a couple of leghorn eggs and a RIR egg. I figured that we wouldn't see any chicks until this coming weekend. Imagine my surprise today when while feeding the chickens I hear a peep and see a little black head stick out. I picked up the hen we have a total of 4 hatched silkie chicks with another silkie egg just starting to hatch. Needless to say it's a very exciting night here with our first hatch going on.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Congratulations and hopefully she will set a day or so longer so that the other eggs hatch.

3. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    [​IMG] congratulations

4. Fuzz Fuzz

Fuzz Fuzz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Netherlands
    Congretulations on the little ones.
    I hope the others will come out soon.
    Have fun watching the little ones.

5. abbylane35

abbylane35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Lodi, New York
    How fun! Congrats! Good luck with your babies! [​IMG]

6. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    [​IMG]

yay! What a lovely surprise!

Many moons ago we had a hen go missing. We figured she became someone's dinner (they free ranged) and didn't think anything more of it. You should've seen our faces when a couple weeks later, there she was, with about ten little peepers following her around!

She was a great mama.

7. Kidd51

Kidd51 New Egg

Jan 12, 2012
    Update, all six of the Silkie eggs have hatched. There are 6 little peeps staying very close to mom in the henhouse, she hasn't brought them outside yet. There are still 4 more standard size eggs that she is still sitting on. Today is the date that if they are going to hatch they should. Keeping our fingers crossed, but we are very happy with the six that have hatched so far. So much easier to let momma raise them, then to buy chicks and do it in the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by