1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Surprise - My chicks are here

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bubba1, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Bubba1

Bubba1 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2008
    Ordered from McMurray back in May, the Brown Egg Layer special, and they told me they'd be shipping this week, and notifying me of when they shipped. No notice from mcMurray, but this morning at 6:30 the p.o. calls and tells me the chicks are there. Bad timing, but me and kids pick them up 40 minutes later, after getting brooder together and filling water, feed, etc.

They sent me 25 (not 26) and one was on death's door when I got them home. I euthanized (not fun, but necessary). Now, they are all doing great, though seem a little bored. I put them in a plastic pool and put cardboard around, duct taped together, with shavings covered by paper towels. They are focusing on the duct tape and trying to rip it up. I am trying to stop them from eating duct tape. My guess is it is too early to give them any treats, etc., but is there any other way to entertain them other than having my son pick them up every two minutes and pet their heads?

They are eating and drinking, etc., and pecking at cardboard. Plenty of fun, though I can't tell what breeds I got, especially the free "exotic."

When I can begin giving them treats like bugs? I know if outside they'd be getting them already, and saw them go nuts over a fly that flew into the brooder, but don't want to rush them. Thanks....

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    id sprinkle dry bread around so they can have fun finding it and eating it up.

3. HeadHen

HeadHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Houston, TX
    If you give them anything other then chick feed or yogurt, they will need access to chick grit to be able to digest it.

4. Bubba1

May 11, 2008
    Bread crumbs and grit worked, along with removing paper towels. They seem occupied and happy. Thanks.

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Pictures?!?!!??! [​IMG]

6. Bubba1

May 11, 2008
    I took pictures but have no idea how to post. They grow so fast too - wing feathers sprouting out and jump-flying. I was negligent the first night and when I came out to the garage in the morning the brooder was only 82. I was scared to let the kids look but quickly figured out they were all okay. The next morning it was 93 and everyone was just as happy.

7. HaileyandJoliesMom

HaileyandJoliesMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    My 25 brown egg layers baragin is shipping out tomorrow. Were you happy with the different breeds of chicks they included?
    How many different breeds did you get in your batch??

Congrats on your chicks!!

8. Bubba1

May 11, 2008
    I am happy. Everyone is thriving, with wing feathers and all. One pasty butt the first day that cleared up after one cleaning, otherwise all good. It is hard to tell at the moment, as a rookie, but it looks like 7 breeds or so. For 3 of them I got one each, which is ideal for me. It is funny to see how different breeds have different personalities.

9. Bubba1

May 11, 2008
    Oh and by the way, find something better than duct tape with cardboard as a barrier. The duct tape came off of the cardboard a bit, and one of the chicks got her new wing feathers stuck. Lots of loud peeping alerted me before I left for work, luckily enough, and I set her free to our relief. I taped over the duct tape with box packing tape and so far so good.

10. HaileyandJoliesMom

HaileyandJoliesMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks, I ordered these to split with a friend and I also ordered 10 ee's for myself. I cant wait to see what I get!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by