Surprise! New chicks in snowstorm. What do I do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rairmet, Dec 12, 2010.

1. rairmet

rairmet New Egg

Dec 12, 2010
    We just found 2 new chicks this morning, after a night of over a foot of snow. We had no idea any of our hens were broody.

So will these chicks be okay? The coop is draft free, but no heat lamp.

I assume I need to get chick starter for these chicks (since all the others are eating layer pellets)? And I probably need to get a waterer back in there--right now the hens venture outside and drink out of the goat's water trough, though we did have waterers for them when they were younger.

Do I need to isolate this hen and her chicks? If I put chick starter and a waterer in there, the other chickens will just wreak havoc with it. Should I just bring the two chicks inside and raise them in a cardboard box?

2. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Hello and [​IMG]!!! They should be fine, but make sure the mommy lets them stay under her to keep warm. You'll have to get a chick feeder and waterer to have right next to her--all of them will eat from this. That way she's not constantly getting up to eat and drink and leaving a chick behind! If the chick seems chilled, you might want to bring it in or provide a heat lamp outside just in case!!! Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Winisk

Winisk Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2010
    Haliburton
    I understand your anxiety as I worried about a November hatch. On all but the coldest days ( -15 C ) the chick stayed outside sitting under mom. As it got older I would bring it inside for a bit so my children can handle it and let the mom have some time to herself. It is now about seven weeks old. I did seperate them from the flock but kept them in the coop. The other chickens think the chick starter is a treat and devour it so for this reason alone keeping a place where the chick can safely eat and drink is worth it. I still fuss and worry a bit, spending more time checking in on things more often than I normally would but the chick can now run around in the main coop with the big ones, although they do sleep on a seperate roost. Good luck.

4. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    Have a place in the coop the chicks can hide from the other chickens. They may not need it but it is a good idea. Mostly mom will protect them.

5. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Quote:I had the same problem so I switched from layer pellets to layer crumbles. Now they look at me like "What's this stuff?" I suppose the newness wore off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by