Surprise! New chicks!!!

thiggins

Chirping
Mar 28, 2017
Texas
IMG_0791.JPG
IMG_0796.JPG
my Easter egged disappeared into thin air about a month ago. I thought the hawk got her. Surprise! She showed up today with 9 (!!) little baby chicks! I am floored! What do I do now?!?! I have put a box with shavings in or run for now. I have to,get chick feed at the feed store tomorrow. Do I jut let momma raise her? Don't I need a baby chicken hose now? I'm new to this, totally not prepared for baby chicks!

Great. You do not have to do anything more that what you have done, a box for mama and chicks with chick starter and water close by is good. Its up to you and how your flock is as to whether you separate them from flock or not. I have broody that hatches right in the nest box and bring the chicks in with the flock at a couple days old and she protects them and does not let anyone near them. Any curious hens get too close they learn quick after the first flogging from mama chicks are off limits. I would just watch and see how your flock handles the chicks, if someone is being too aggressive I would just give mom and chicks a sectioned off area of the run for a couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom