Surprise Roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Eroicayori, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Eroicayori

Eroicayori Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    I have three roosters that are 10 months old and are separate and free ranging from my hens. Back in august we had ordered 4 more chickens and though we had ordered hens we were concerned that one of the JG was a roo. This was confirmed Yesterday when I opened up an egg that had been hidden in my hens coop and found a little chicken fetus. I feel really bad about that:(

My question is, can I put the 4 month old JG roo in with my 10 month BO Roos? Will they kill him?

Thanks

2. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    I'm not quite sure. I'd suggest waiting until the Jersey is older (JG and BOs both adults) then introduce them... without hens. They will fight, but doesn't every chicken fight with a new comer? There shouldn't be any real cockfighting among them without hens around, just pecking order type stuff. When the pecking order is secure, then you could get away with bring hens to them all and they should cockfight alittle over the hens. But in any case, supervise, and use good sence. Try to guess what bad thing might happen next before it happens. Hope this works for you. It worked for me.

3. six_eclectic_chickens

six_eclectic_chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    Try putting them together for awhile. Watch and see what happens. Expect some friction because he will be joining a new flock, but if the other roos start beating him up; get him out of there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by