Surprise rooster and now a broody hen...?

dlaciv12

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 12, 2008
Brockton, MA
So we discovered one of our newest RIR hens is actually a rooster. Technically, roosters are illegal in our town and we really don't have interest in raising chicks this way so we have plans to trade him this Friday. We have had no dealings with roosters before so we didn't know what to look for. Plus it has been hot so we have had air conditioners running most of the day and never heard him start crowing when ever that was.
He is 17 weeks old now and one of our year and a half old hens has gone broody. We have watched the older girls chase the rooster away as part of pecking order sorting but this one hen bring broody has me wondering if he might have "gotten the deed done." Is there any chance of that?

Pullets and hens don't need to have fertilized eggs or been mated to go broody. It's purely a hormonal action. They don't even have to have ever SEEN a rooster to go broody, if they're gonna go broody.

On the flip side of that, the chicken sex act is very brief. Seconds. The rooster merely has to touch his vent to that of his chosen mark. Errr, partner. There's no penetration whatsoever. If he's 17 weeks old, chances are probably danged high he's tagged some pullets and hens.

Ugh... We have 6 hens and just 1 pullet (as he would have been my 2nd). If he is 17 weeks old do you have any idea how long ago he might have started and when I might expect to see some fertilized eggs? I don't want any surprises making breakfast some morning.
I guess I have some reading to do to get ready!

Back
Top Bottom