1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Surprise! Small Egg! Who is the Culprit?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CluckinUP, Jan 25, 2017.

1. CluckinUP

CluckinUP New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    My three girls have been with me since May. All are laying great with exception of the EE who went on strike in July. At that time, she was growing out her tail feathers, so I chalked up energy devoted to her growth spurt than laying. Since then, I've receive a few rubber eggs from her, especially in the last three weeks, I found two - one of which had three yolks! Judging from the color of the eggs, it's from my EE. This morning, I found a tiny egg, which I think is from the EE. The other two laid normal size eggs yesterday, of which one gave me another egg today. In the last month, I started giving them cayenne pepper and garlic with their oatmeal treat (offer three times a week). Also, I added some Calcium along with B12 for the EE.
    Is it common for a layer to start up her cycle with a tiny egg? I'm hoping it's a sign that the calcium is working for the EE. I'm not seeing out of the unusual with them.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Tiny eggs are usually from a glitch and often don't contain a whole yolk. Usually there's a small piece that gets processed as a regular yolk. Soft shelled eggs too happen when the system is starting up or shutting down. They can also be caused by stress. They aren't related to calcium.

A higher protein feed can help optimize laying. Always keep a separate bowl of oyster shells for them to regulate their calcium needs.

3. SkyWorld

SkyWorld Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    I love those FART EGGS!!!!

4. CluckinUP

CluckinUP New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    Thanks oldhenlike dogs! I add oyster shells to their feed in the morning. Just curious, is there any harm in giving them a calcium with b12 supplement?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Don't add oyster shells to the feed....put it in a separate container always available for them to eat if they need it.

Not sure why the oats, cayenne, garlic...I know they supposedly have miraculous beneficial properties(tho garlic can cause anemia).
    Adding supplements can be as harmful as it may be helpful.
    BUT a good basic chicken ration, and plain fresh water, is always the best place to start......especially if they are having problems.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
    Were all 3 birds day old chicks when you got them last May?

6. CluckinUP

CluckinUP New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    The oats or I should say oatmeal with garlic and cayenne powder is a cold morning treat. Only a few times if the temps go down in the 30s.

Last May, the hens were roughly 6 months old. Their diet is a New Country Organic layer feed, soy-free. Fresh water every morning. I use to offer oyster shells separately, will try that again.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Too much calcium can cause as many troubles as not enough. I had occasionally odd eggs feeding layer as the hens don't always need the amounts added to it. I prefer a good all flock ration. The hens than can self regulate their calcium intake through the consumption of oyster shells.

Since you are feeding oatmeal you are cutting their daily protein. Daily minimum is 16% which most layer mixes are. I feed a higher protein, 18-22% so the extras don't cut their daily protein intake too low which can eventually lead to deficiencies. Hens will start egg and feather eating to make up the deficiency.

8. CluckinUP

CluckinUP New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    So if I feed them layer with a side of oatmeal, that cuts into their protein intake? I only do this when temps get into the 30s, to give them extra energy. But if I should increase their protein intake instead, what are some sources that I can add to their layer feed?

9. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If it's occasionally it should be fine. Some good sources of protein are things like scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, canned fish or meal worms, all in moderation of course, and can be mixed in with the oatmeal. The 30's are considered a warm balmy day around here.[​IMG]

10. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    Of all the chickens I have owned over the years, my EE are always the ones to have funky eggs when they start to lay. Once they smooth out, they are reliable and consistent in quality of the eggs. Before that, though, double/triple yolk eggs and small eggs are not unusual.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by