Surprise special and this is the mystery breed! What are they?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by IdealisticRoo, Dec 9, 2010.

1. IdealisticRoo

IdealisticRoo Chicken Tender

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    I bought a mix of 25 pullets, so I know these are girls, but I have been studying chick pictures and I cannot decide what they are.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    What hatchery di you purchase from? That may help.

3. IdealisticRoo

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    Ideal Poultry - I did not include that in the original post because I posted previously about a different topic and someone said this was not the place to discuss merits of hatcheries. I spend so much time bragging about Ideal because my chicks are healthy that people probably think I work there! [​IMG] I would be a large furry nuisance working in a hatchery, getting nothing done, because I would be busy admiring all the different breeds and varieties!

Ideal has many different breeds, but they are all showing sold out, except for RIR (got 2) Barred rocks (got 1), Australorps weren't sold out the week I got mine, but are now (got 4-5 of them)

Everything else I got was specifically showing as sold out until 2011, so I figure they must take the dribbles of eggs that are coming out of the sold out pens and use them in assortments.

4. draye

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I can't really tell what they are. The picture is a little blurry, but the coloring is kind of a brownish look, maybe Brown Leghorn?

Anyway hatcheries that hatch all year usually have several breeds still laying, they just say sold out to everyone on specific breeds because they do not have enough hens laying of the same breed at once to sell specific breeds, so they run specials like this to sell people.

5. IdealisticRoo

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    These chicks are all black and grey and white, with no brown or earthtones. I do have 4 brown leghorns too, there are chipmunks with brown velvet on the center stripe on their backs. I only know what they are because I have ordered them specifically before. My 3rd to last order was for brown leghorns and Black Australorps.

Sorry about the crappity camera phone pic, my other camera is missing again. It will probably turn up soon, last time it was lost, Walgreens called and said I left it on the photo counter!

I love specials like this! I am going to sell most of the 25 as started pullets in the spring! [​IMG]

6. draye

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Are those peacombs on the chicks? If so they could be beardless Easter Egger (aka at hatcheries as Ameraucana).

7. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    how about silver laced wyandottes.
    [​IMG]

8. IdealisticRoo

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    OOOOHHHH that looks like them! I don't know how I missed that in looking through breeds!

I love Wyandottes! I think there are 4 of these, only 1 is a bit darker, but very similar markings!

I am so excited! THank you! [​IMG]

9. draye

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Sorry, IdealisticRoo. I never thouoght of those, but then again I've never had any Silver Laced Wyandottes as babies so I guess I never would have thought of them, congratulations.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They're silver laced wyandottes.

Notice the broad, flat combs and the markings. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by