Surprise, Surprise! 49 Chicks and 3 Ducks Arrived Friday!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bullitt, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Cackle Hatchery in Lebabon, Missouri, has a wild surprise special.

Here is what it states:

Like Surprises?
    No choice of kind or amount of birds but we guarantee a bargain.

$45.95 plus $15.00 shipping for a total of $60.95

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/page10.html#hatcherysurprise

Has anyone ever ordered this crazy surprise, and what and how many chicks were received?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  2. Armywifeandmama

Armywifeandmama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    The Missouri Ozarks
    I order from Cackle sometimes ( they are like a half hr from me) and love them. I saw that in their catalog and wondered about it too!

3. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    From the way it is described a person could receive chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks, or any other bird. It is probably chickens, though.

I think this special is for the person who really likes variety and doesn't really care what kind of birds are received.

If it was like 50 chicks of 20 different breeds or something, that special would be a great deal. It would even be okay if they threw in a few other types of birds. But if it was 50 bantam cockerels I wouldn't like it. That is why I was curious if anyone had ordered this special.

4. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    My father is feeling adventurous. My father decided to go ahead and order Cackle Hatchery's "Hatchery Surprise."

My father said, what the heck, I have plenty of room. He also said, I bet the people at the hatchery laugh when they are packing these surprise chicks.

I don't know yet what the delivery date will be, but hopefully there will be a wide variety of breeds when they are delivered. My father said it should be fun trying to determine which breeds of chickens are delivered.

I am looking forward to seeing pictures of these surprise chicks.

5. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    please let us know!

I saw that and was thinking of ordering it too. I wouldn't mind a few ducks in a little pond.. but I DON'T want 15 turkeys! lol My gramma grew up on a farm with MEAN MEAN MEAN turkeys that used to chase her out to the outhouse and not let her leave all night till her father came and rescued her. Truthfully... Turkeys scare me now ;)

Ducks... well... I like them almost as much as chickens :D

6. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] Please be chickens! My husband was chased by a bantam rooster when he was little!

7. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Hopefully my father won't receive any killer bantam roosters or turkeys. [​IMG]

As an adult, I don't think you have to worry about running away from a turkey. I can see how a small child would be afraid of a turkey or a goose. But I don't think you have to be afraid of turkeys.

He was chased by a bantam rooster? A bantam rooster weighs about 2 pounds. [​IMG]

My father wouldn't mind a few other types of birds besides chickens. But I am sure all or most of these birds will be chickens.

I am pretty confident that my father will have a rainbow of colors soon.

8. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Wow, that was fast.

Cackle Hatchery sent out an e-mail, and the chicks will be shipped on February 29.

Maybe we can call these leap-year chickens. They will only have a birthday every four years. [​IMG]

9. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    The chicks will be sent Wednesday morning. I hope the chicks arrive quickly on Thursday.

My father said he is ready with the brooder, the pine shavings, the paper towels, the feeders, the waterers, a bag of medicated feed, and a light with an aluminum reflector. My father is building a larger chicken run, and he got a solar-powered electric fence to keep out the raccoons, foxes, and other critters that like a chicken dinner.

I am curious to find out what comes in the "hatchery surprise." I hope it is a wide variety of breeds and a mix of pullets and cockerels. I am guessing it will be more cockerels, though.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  10. Jed

Jed Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2010
    Sounds very tempting. You will have to let us know what you end up with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by