SURPRISE! SURPRISE!!! More than I bargained for! (Hopefully!)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kellim, Aug 17, 2008.

1. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Well I thought I had stopped my incubating for the year after a hawk got my sweet Silver Sebright. I have tried to locate another to no prevail but did get a Golden Sebright hen from the same gentleman who we got the Silvers from. Got her yesterday. Guess what! I went out today to check on her in her isolation area and guess what! I got an egg!!! Boy was I surprised, I have never had a new hen start laying that quickly after moving to her new home. Soooooo, guess what I done after I danced around the yard and celebrated the arrival of an egg? I PUT IT IN THE BATOR!!! I know she was with a Golden Male before and I know that the eggs can stay fertile for a few weeks so please wish us luck that this one is a baby!!! I will update if there is progress!!!

2. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    Gook Luck. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

You should def put a few eggs in there in hopes of hatching at least two chicks. Some of us know what its like to have a lone chickie [​IMG]

4. kellim

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Thanks! So far today no more eggs, but she laid late in the day yesterday so I think perhaps she is just an afternoon layer. It would be just awesome if I got extra chicks for the price of one hen!!! 4 more days til I can candle!!! Can't wait!! Off to finish my son's homeschooling for the day!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. spookykim

spookykim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio
    [​IMG] good luck with your egg [​IMG]

6. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Good luck with the hatch, Kellim!!!!

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Let us know on day 7 what ya see! [​IMG] Good luck!
    When we got our welsummers from my friend they laid 6 good eggs for us and than NOTHING...IT's been a month and still nothing [​IMG] What did I do to them!? [​IMG] I dont think they like me [​IMG]

8. redchicken

redchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    Quote:We had some silkies hatch out some eggs we thought they would be pure bred because the last different breed in with them we had gotten rid of 5 weeks before so eggs can be even fertilized 5 weeks before

9. kellim

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Quote:My Barred Rock took a break from laying for about a month. It has been really hot here, most days range in the upper 90's to the 100's. The past few days it has cooled down some and she has started laying HUGE eggs. I wonder if the heat somehow affects their laying?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by