Surprise surprise

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenboots, Jun 22, 2011.

1. chickenboots

chickenboots Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    fl
    So I killed my only roo Sunday. After 2 years he started attacking my hens. He did so much damage to one he nearly rippeed her comb completely off and damaged her eye so bad I'm not sure she can see out of it. I have been wanting one of my hens to go broody for months now with no luck, so my 5yo daughter can experience baby chicks being born. Of course, this morning I went to let the hens out and one of my hens acts like she is broody! Heres hoping she sticks it out since they won't be laying fertile eggs for much longer. [​IMG]

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Good luck [​IMG]

3. mom x 1

mom x 1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Hope it goes well! I want DD to experience egg hatching, but we don't have a roo [​IMG]

4. quibs

quibs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    New Jersey
    good luck with your girl. hope shes broody for ya

5. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    Quote:Have a Trader Joes near by? [​IMG]
    I know a lady who got fertilized eggs from a grocery store to put under a broody. She had a pretty successful hatch too!

6. chickenboots

Apr 18, 2010
    fl
    Looks like a no go. She is already off the nest. She never screams or threatens to peck me when I'm collecting eggs though. Looks like I'm going to get me a silkie.

7. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    Dont give up yet!!!!

8. chickenboots

Apr 18, 2010
    fl
    I'm not. I'm going to leave the eggs for a few days. How long before they go bad. It's hot here 95-100 almost every day except today. It's been overcast all day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by