1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Surprise TUrken babies!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mom 2em All, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Watching a chick hatch this morning, I saw flesh bulging from the zip- and said, "Oh my god ,what is that?" And out popped a turken! Yay me! The poor thing is so ugly, I fell madly in love with HER ( [​IMG] )... so far, I have six chicks- two of which are turkens. I am having a terrible hatch rate. Hopefully the numbers will increase- these are the eggs that shipped during the terrible heat- and remember I had temps reach 108 the other day. [​IMG]
    One of my turkens has not absorbed the yolk sac- darn active little critter. I do not know why- its the only one like that. Hopefully "she " will be okay.

More eggs are due in two days- some polish and two silkies, one or two Hudan. Same situation with those- eggs shipped in high heat. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I just can't get to the 'they are so ugly they are cute' thing with the NNs/Turkens...

Ah well, enjoy your new babies and good luck on the rest of your eggs!

3. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I think it goes right along with "a face so ugly only the mother could love it"...the rest of my hatch I think is done for. I have pips that are not doing anything at all, that were rocking earlier.

I think they drown- I dont really know if my humidity was right or not the last couple days because the batteries were bad in my thermometer/hygrometer...so, going on the turken that hatched with his yolk out (high temps- right?) and the last four babies were 'sticky'...I dunno.

4. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    It seems like people hate NNs until they get one in an order or hatch one,lol. They sure are cute little chicks, and beautiful adults. Congrats on the hatch.

5. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    I like them! [​IMG]

6. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Congratulations!!!! [​IMG] Where's the pics??? Let us be the judge. [​IMG]

How long has the unactive egg been pipped? Sometimes they get tired and rest inbetween trying to break free.

7. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Smitty's Farm :

Congratulations!!!! [​IMG] Where's the pics??? Let us be the judge. [​IMG]

How long has the unactive egg been pipped? Sometimes they get tired and rest inbetween trying to break free.

Yeah...were's pics??​

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I love my Turkens!!!!

9. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I LOVE MY TURKENS, TOO! I don't know how many times I have to say it, but don't judge a book by its cover. My Turkens have always been the sweetest of the bunch. They absolutely love people and are always wanting human attention. It is unreal how friendly they are.

I hope your little babies turn out to be just as loveable! You already love them, and that helps [​IMG]

10. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I just tried to take pictures but my camera battery is dead- so I threw it on the charger, and will get their pictures later on tonight...
    Patience, patience, patience...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by