Surprise!! We're getting chickens! What species to get?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickadee93, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Chickadee93

Chickadee93 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    So this is my first post in a long while, because when I joined we really had no space for chickens and such... but yesterday my mom comes up and tells me she wants to get chickens this spring!!! Totally took me by surprise- I actually thought she was joking!! Turns out, this idea was spawned because of all the egg recalls recently, plus the price of chicken and such... So now I am tasked with coming up with what species to get...

After some research I came up with the ideal flock... roughly half Ameracauna, and half Rhode Island Reds or Plymouth Rocks, but can these species be kept together? Mainly searching for nice-looking birds with good egg production. Any other species we should look into? And what size flock would we need in order to have maybe 10-12 eggs per week.

2. CCFarms9559

CCFarms9559 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Jeffersontown, Ky
    You can keep all of those together. Lots of people have a mixed flock - as do I. The number of eggs depends on the breed also. Those you mentioned are good layers and you would only need 3 or 4. But be warned. Buying chicks is addictive....[​IMG]

3. JROOSTER

JROOSTER Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    WOW you are in soooo much trouble you just dont know! You will get one then three then eight then before you know it you will have fifty chickens in your backyard. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    There are so many breeds (not species, btw; all chickens are one species), but there are many factors to consider...where you are determines whether you should get a breed with large or small combs (large ones can freeze in the winter, but are great for hot places), whether you are near any neighbours, etc.

Most breeds can get along together if they are all received as chicks. Some can get learn to get along later, but not all will.

Good luck. The ones yu've chosen should work out very well.

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    what about mpc rare breed mixture! i loved it!! i actually received 6 different birds!!! [​IMG]
    incase you dont know what mpc is "my pet chicken".com

6. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:Yeah I started out with 5 hens and now I have 36 chickens!!!

Ameracaunas are very pretty and the eggs are fun at first, but the glamor of the colored eggs wears off and then you just have divas that don't lay that well, and lay all over the yard.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've had quite a few different breeds. If I started over, I'd only have Black Stars and Barred Rocks. Both for their egg production and egg laying reliability in all weather and temperature extremes. The Barred Rocks are very friendly as well and the Black Stars are docile.

8. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I have had:
    EEs, Anconas, Australorps, Wyandottes, Barred Rocks, a Partridge Rock, a Blue Andalusian, 2 Marans, a Welsummer, and Old English game bantam.

Of all of them my favorites have been the Austalorps, they are so nice and they are great early (mine started at 17 weeks!) layers. they are very soft and freindly enough to let my 2 year old brother pick them up by the feet, tail wings and any other part that he can hold onto, without them protesting! after the Austarlorps, I love the partridge rock! she is so nice!! so is really nice to the younger chickens and even lets doves sit under her wing! (they free range so all kinds of bird play with them)

MPC is really good, especially if you only want a few hens, the shipping is $30.00, but they arrive overnight and they are less stressed because of it.

9. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    I have to agree with some of the above posters. Australorps and barred rocks are great layers and friendly birds!!

10. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Amen! But you will have so much fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by