Surprise!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ecbirge, Apr 11, 2016.

1. ecbirge

ecbirge New Egg

Apr 11, 2016
    I have what was sold to me as a gold laced Wyandotte. She has been slow to start laying, but when I came back from a weekend trip last night, I found two new eggs in the nest box. The surprise is that they were a lovely shade of blue! I am attaching a picture of my chicken (named Bridgette by the kids!) and the two eggs. Any guesses as to what crosses could produce this? She definitely has a strong lacing pattern to her feathers.

And to be clear, I am not disappointed by this surprise. I'm not a purebred chicken raiser, and blue shelled eggs taste just as good as brown! :)

Thanks!

2. ecbirge

ecbirge New Egg

Apr 11, 2016
    Sorry! I am new here and forgot to add pictures.. Also, if it is not clear in the picture, Bridgette has dark legs and red eyes. I realize now, those are not breed characteristics of Gold Laced Wyandottes. Ok, here are the pics![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ChickenHermit

ChickenHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    She's an Easter Egger! And a pretty one at that. [​IMG] EEs are more a variety than a breed in a lot of ways, but they're a lot of fun. The eggs and the dark legs are pretty good indications.

4. ecbirge

ecbirge New Egg

Apr 11, 2016
    Thank you! I didn't realize Easter Eggers could have this type of a feather pattern, but from a little research on BYC I see they come in lots of different colors and patterns! Thanks again for the help!

5. ChickenHermit

ChickenHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    Happy to help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by