1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    We got a little Quail Bearded Belgian D'Anver at the Stockton Poultry Show last month. No idea how old she was when we got her, but she seemed like a kid (older than a teenager, but not yet a woman). [​IMG] We've had her quarantined in a cage in our family room since then. This morning i had her in the bathroom cleaning poo off her bottom and noticed she had lice. So i put her in a carrier, hauled the cage outside, thoroughly cleaned it and sprayed it down. Took her outside and gave her some medicine and sprayed her bottom. Set her down for a minute and she immediately puffed up and started straining, and making whining sounds. Ack!

She was clearly in egg-laying mode. She strained and strained and made the most pitiful sounds. i was getting worried as it was freezing outside. So we scooted her onto a blanket and got her in on a table. My husband said he could see the egg starting to come out. i looked and her teeny opening was strained to the breaking point, and i could see some blood. i asked him to run like the wind down the hall and get the vasoline, which he did. i rubbed it all around her vent as she strained, and lo and behold, out popped her very first egg!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    She looks kind if surprised in the second pic...

"Did I do THAT?""

3. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    is she better now??

4. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    Oh, sorry for the "first" suprise!

I love the second pick - like, what in the world is that??

Too funny

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    She just sat there for the longest time, like she was in shock. We put her back in her cage and i put the egg in so she could look at it. Well, she started pecking at it so i took it away. Now she's whining again. i think part of her whining is that she needs a buddy. The quarantine periods are so hard on a chicken. We had a BO hen we adopted that was alone for over a month as she had fowl pox and coccidiosis. When we finally put her in with our other big birds she was soooooooooo happy!

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Air, you better do more than "sprayed her bottom". Lice are all over a chicken, just easier to see on their bottom.

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Quote:Oh, i thought when you dust or treat them you just do their bottoms around their vent. The spray (Poultry Protector) said to keep it away from the eyes. So, i should treat her all over, under wings, etc? (After she has a chance to recover from her first egg drop, that is.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by