Surprise!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by howfunkyisurchicken, Apr 20, 2011.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    So, I woke up this morning and went to the coop to let the chickens out and freshen my broodys food and water. As I'm putting her things back into her cage, I hear this very loud peeping. My broodys chicks weren't supposed to hatch until this Sunday [​IMG] so I start searching everywhere for this rebel chick who decided to hatch early. Nothing. I go back to the cage and start checking eggs and find one pipped that's just faintly peeping and another that isn't pipped but peeping frantically. None of the other eggs were making any noise, but they felt like the could have chicks in them [​IMG] Anyhoo- I brought the eggs inside and started picking the shell off of them. Those poor babies were completely stuck in the membrane and one of them was so big it looked like it shouldn't have fit in the egg it came from. So after much careful picking I now have two very unexpected chicks in my brooder that I'm completely unprepared for. The only reason I even had the brooder set up is because I'm expecting chicks from McMurray on Monday. I hadn't picked up my chick starter yet. But I do have plenty of eggs. Would they be okay on just egg until tomorrow? And if I do feed them the egg, will they need any grit? I've never had chicks hatch out this early before, and thought I had crossed my t's and dotted my i's, they caught me completely off guard. Any advice would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

2. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

From what I read chicks can live off the egg, if you let them eat it, that they hatch from for a couple days. Which is why hatcheries ship right after hatching.

3. srsmith69

srsmith69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Chicks can live without food and water for up to three days. They would probably eat the boiled egg, but they can go at least a day giving you time to get to the feed store for some chick starter.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I know they can live without the food while they are still absorbing the yolk [​IMG] , but I want to offer them something since I helped them hatch. One of them is up and running, it managed to make its way to the waterer and take a drink all on its own. The other is still drying off and sleeping. So I'm wondering if they will need grit if I let them eat the egg? Thanks again!

5. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    They dont need grit to eat eggs

6. juliette2009

juliette2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Wadmalaw Island, SC
    I believe grit is needed for extra grains and grasses, not for boiled eggs. It will be fine for them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by