Surprised how cuddly chicks can be!

AuntJamie

Songster
Mar 4, 2017
Sort of Central Ohio
Been having a lot of fun socializing the chicks. It's hard to keep track of who gets held and who needs held so there's a lot of grabbing whoever is running from my hand. The ones who seek attention though, especially the couple of RIR, the BSL cockerel and NHR cockerel. They're the fun ones. I accidentally picked up a NHR boy because under the red light he looked like a RIR (decided hands off approach to cockerels) and he snuggled right down in my hand all sweetly. I couldn't just put him down after that, I gave him a good cuddle first.
So anyway, the pullets who come up wanting held. With their sweet eyes and inquisitive demeanors. Practically hopping into my hand and snuggling down, tiny little beak nibbles. So cute! And then when I lower them back into the breeder and open my hand they just sit there until I remind them it's somebody else's turn.
This is my favorite part to each day. 19 pullets needing daily snuggles? Heaven!

Awww! It might actually be a good thing to cuddle the cockerels as well, as it may prevent aggressiveness later in life. Have fun with your babies!!!
love.gif

Been having a lot of fun socializing the chicks. It's hard to keep track of who gets held and who needs held so there's a lot of grabbing whoever is running from my hand. The ones who seek attention though, especially the couple of RIR, the BSL cockerel and NHR cockerel. They're the fun ones. I accidentally picked up a NHR boy because under the red light he looked like a RIR (decided hands off approach to cockerels) and he snuggled right down in my hand all sweetly. I couldn't just put him down after that, I gave him a good cuddle first.
So anyway, the pullets who come up wanting held. With their sweet eyes and inquisitive demeanors. Practically hopping into my hand and snuggling down, tiny little beak nibbles. So cute! And then when I lower them back into the breeder and open my hand they just sit there until I remind them it's somebody else's turn.
This is my favorite part to each day. 19 pullets needing daily snuggles? Heaven!

Raising chicks is ever so much fun! Seeing them grow into wonderful well adjusted chickens before your very eyes is such a pleasure! THanks for sharing your adventures with us!

Yes, chicks ARE so much fun! It's so cold though that I couldn't keep my hands warm enough to hold them yesterday and it's not looking good today, either. But yeah, totally enjoying them, thanks! :D

Back
Top Bottom