surprised the heck out of me being somewhat a novice chicken mom

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lorettawyandotte, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Lorettawyandotte

Lorettawyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    white springs, fl
    my BA hen decided to go broody on me...she is not but 8 months old...she started out with 6 assorted eggs but over time, she managed to move the nest divider and swipe 7 more...there were EE eggs, Maran eggs, Leghorn eggs and some brown ones from my rocks or the two BAs...I watched her, put food and water in proximity, found her on the wrong nest 3 different times after a short leg stretch and run around the yard...I did not really know exactly what to do with or about her...time passed...today I am the pround owner of 9 little mutts...and they are the funniest looking little things I have ever seen...most are dark and black...I have 2 chipmunks...I took the chicks and have them in the brooder under a heat lamp...but it has been a staggared hatch...some are 5 days old and 2 are a day old having hatched yesterday...she still has three eggs and is refusing to leave them...they may hatch...I will give it a day or two and then I think, correct me if I am wrong, but I think I am going to have to break up her efforts...she is thin and I don't like it very much...she is one of my favs...her name is Emma and old (young) Emma is a hoot...she has never pecked me the many times I have disturbed her but she does puff out every feather she owns and makes godawful noises at me when I check her eggs, or even put food near her...or steal her children...poor girl...the father to these little mutts is a brown Leghorn named Walter...what a stud muffin he is...there was a SL Polish roo in there but evidently he was not allowed to mate with any of the girls...none of the chicks are sporting anything remotely resembling a hair do...will get pics today and add them later on...they are cute as all get out...I needed 9 mutts...these are the first ever hatched here and I think they have to stay...well, the girls do anyway...I don't know about any roosters...I have 4 roos already, a black Cochin, Brown Leghorn, Buff Catalana, and a White Faced Black Spanish...we shall see...that crazy Emma...was not expecting her to do the deed and add chicks to the family...

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Congratulations. Should be fun to try and figure out "Whose Your Daddy?"

3. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    ooo put pictures up!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by