Surprised to find out no need to get flock tested

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Eggscoozme, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Eggscoozme

Eggscoozme Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2014
    Michigan
    I've been unable to get local testers to come out and test flock - they say they don't have any serum or whatever that is called. I was going to sign up for the class to get certified so I do not have to mess with finding someone who WILL test.

Well, in my research, I current tester from another county said as long as my birds come from a place that has had them tested, I do not need to get them tested. Also, I should go ahead and use the NPIP number from where I got them from. Wow! I had no idea. That just saved me so much time and money!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    ??????????? Not what I been told. From my understanding, My place as well as my chickens have to be checked. If I buy from a NPIP place and hatch and raise more off these in a few months----I can not call them NPIP certified, because my place has never been check-----for sure can not use someone else's number. Better check with your State ----- to be on the safe side----not hear say from some one.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  3. Eggscoozme

Oct 25, 2014
    Michigan
    Eugene Hibbs is the tester and has been doing chickens for 50yrs he said. It makes sense to me. Just keep the paperwork on your purchases.

As far as new hatches go, they are too young to test anyhow. Have to be at least 6mths I believe.

When I DID get tested a year and half ago, all the gal did was take blood from my flock that was at least 6mths old. She didn't test my property or anything.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    My understanding is that:
    You don't have to get new birds tested if they come from another NPIP flock, IF you are up to date on your flocks testing.
    If you're NPIP certified you can't bring in any birds that are not NPIP without voiding your certification.
    You can't sell birds from your place as NPIP birds unless your flock is certified.

That said...NPIP brings false security IMO as they only test for one disease and there are many other diseases out there that are not tested for...plus folks bend the rules, which are not really well enforced anyways, and use the 'NPIP' label as a marketing hook.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  5. Eggscoozme

Oct 25, 2014
    Michigan
    I hear what you're saying.

What about this scenario:

You are just starting with chickens, and your first purchase is from a NPIP certified breeder/hatchery. Do you need to be NPIP certified to sell your birds/eggs in 6 months?

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

1 person likes this.
  7. Eggscoozme

Oct 25, 2014
    Michigan
    I find that frustrating since it's hard to find someone to come out and test. Two testers in my area say "they do not have any serum" (or whatever you call that). My Vet looked into it, and it was not cost effective for him to pursue. Ugh

8. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I contacted my State. They send some one out to test when they get it lined up-----so much for every bird on the place.

9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by