Surprising leg injury, urgent help required

FruendofTweety

Hatching
Mar 22, 2020
Hello folks,

So I had these one day RIR chicks that I and my mom raised, they were the extra pampered lot, one of the chicks had struggling childhood as he frequently used have poop stuck at the orifice so had to be given extra care and attention, well he made it thru and was every one favourite (rooster), we named him pintu, he most of the times did funny antics and always used to make us laugh, so we kind of were biased towards him, now the flock is 2 yrs old and all was going well till 2 weeks ago we noticed weired walking movement in his right leg, as if he was having difficulty moving frwrd on the right leg, he could get it off ground but could not take the step forward ,as if an invisible force was not letting him. Like seriously. This gradually increased and we separated him from the flock, he is still having this condition, he can stand on both legs but gets dis balanced and has to take support of his wings, then eventually decides to sit, it is painful for him to put weight on right leg as he curls up his right leg toes when standing on them, a d when he sits he leans towards left, my mom is very worried and from where we are we dont have any good vet nearby. I ruled out Marecks, bumble foot, mites, no apparent injury frm outside. When sometimes he desperately tries to walk he limps a lot (right leg). :(

Sorry about Pintu. Has he always had that rounded back appearance? He still could have symptoms of Mareks disease, but he also could be having a numb leg from nerve involvement, possibly from an injury or a spinal deformity. Do you have other roosters? Have you added any birds to your flock recently? He will need to be kept close to his food and water, and I would probably try to feed him wet chicken feed, bits of scramble egg, canned cat food or tuna, varying his diet to keep him eating.

If you lose him one day, you may want to send him to the state poultry vet for a necropsy (autopsy) to find out what was wrong.

Sorry about Pintu. Has he always had that rounded back appearance? He still could have symptoms of Mareks disease, but he also could be having a numb leg from nerve involvement, possibly from an injury or a spinal deformity. Do you have other roosters? Have you added any birds to your flock recently? He will need to be kept close to his food and water, and I would probably try to feed him wet chicken feed, bits of scramble egg, canned cat food or tuna, varying his diet to keep him eating.

If you lose him one day, you may want to send him to the state poultry vet for a necropsy (autopsy) to find out what was wrong.
Yes he always had that. I read everything I could about marecks but doesnot seem like that. It's beenmore than 3 weeks now. I am feeding him wet feed plus calcium phosphorus and multivitamin supplement, he does beat both his legs when I lay him down for checking . And it doesnot seem like his leg is numb. He just doesnot seem to be able to move forward over the right leg. I'm hoping it's just some injury that will heal. It would be a heartbreak to lose him.
I seperated him from the flock the day I noticed something is wrong with him and no I did not add any birds to the flock. I do have another rooster though. But he ain't pintu. :(

Some chickens can be born with a spinal deformity that can eventually cause lameness in the legs when the spinal cord is pinched by the bones. Usually, those chickens may sit down with their legs apout in front of them. When a leg nerve is being pressed upon from an injury or enlargement in Mareks disease, the leg can feel numb and it is hard for them to stand on it. The toes can curl under as well. You could try giving him some vitamins with riboflavin (B2) just in case he has riboflavin deficiency. Usually that affects both legs with curled toes and sitting down on hocks. Human vitamin B complex tablets can be used (1/4 tablet daily crushed into food) or a chick vitamin that has riboflavin listed as an ingredient.
1585672704900.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom