surrogate chicks for a silkie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cheri222, Jan 24, 2011.

1. cheri222

cheri222 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    I need some advice. I have 2 basement silkies that were tossed out by the LF girls. They are getting their own coop in the spring. If I get chicks is there a chance the silkies will brood them? Any ideas of how to try this? I really don't want more silkies, but am not sure what I want. It will have to be something that tolerates the cold. Not for meat, just for eggs. The girls are just under a year old and not laying yet. Thanks

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Unless your Silkies are broody, they probably won't brood chicks for you. It could happen, but be prepared that it won't.

3. HelenaJean

HelenaJean Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    outback Australia
    wait until the silkies go broody themselves before getting chicks, chicks probably won't spark them to go broody, especially if they're not even old enough to lay. If you get them very young, (4 days old or under i recon) and slip them under her at night, there's a huge chance she'd raise them for you. silkies are even known for raising other breeds or bird! though i'd only try this with eggs, not live young.
    good luck, they're beautiful creatures and a joy to have

edit: by other breeds, i mean geese, ducks etc. i don't think they're have any trouble raising another breed of chicken.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by