Surrogate Incubators are FOR THE BIRDS! **PICS ADDED!**

Alexis

Songster
11 Years
Jan 28, 2008
Philomath, Oregon
So almost a month ago, my mother sent an email offering her "portable, feathered incubator" for hatching some of my fertile eggs. Of course I took her up on her offer (I mean, hello? Who wouldn't want MORE chicks?) I took fourteen eggs with me in various colors and sizes (some from my 6 month old pullets), and put them under her very broody hen. Today is day 21. I think I'm going to go nuts! I started bugging her late last night to check on them every 10 minutes.
lol.png

I sent an assortment of eggs and I have no CLUE what we will end up with. I do know that early this morning she found two red chicks, one black, one with a dark stripe down its back and one grey colored chick. I'm in for an interesting surprise when these little peepers get bigger! I think the grey one must be from my light brahma, who was fertilized by our blue polish crested!

I am DYING to see them, as I'm sure you can imagine, so sit with me here for a minute and commiserate. I begged for pictures and you know what she said? She said, "I'm off to work, you need to use an electric incubator to actually see the chicks as they hatch"

WHAT?? Come Onnnn!
barnie.gif
She's so cruel to me.

We're planning a trip to her house tomorrow afternoon. I'LL TAKE PICTURES!!
Just wish she didn't live so daggum far - it's a hour and a half drive - you can bet I won't be doing this again unless I bring the "incubator" home with me!

Last edited:
I think I would be going crazy, too! lol. I got my first egg the other day and it's almost torture to be at work all day wondering if there will be any more eggs when I get home. I'm sure it would be 1000x worse to have chicks hatch and not be able to see them!

I should point out that we got seven all together.

I'm pleased... out of fourteen eggs (yes, I'm insane).
One egg was covered in broodypoo, and there was a mostly formed chick inside that didn't make it. I took photos of it, because we're a curious bunch. If you want pics of that I can share, but they are a bit... um... graphic.

Another egg hatched, but he got stepped on by the momma hen during all the commotion and didn't make it all the way out of the shell.

These are the first eggs I've ever set under a hen, so this was quite an experience for our family! (Fun little chicken story on my blog today - and a couple more pics too)

Well if no one else minds, I'd like to see the chick that was fully formed but not hatched. I'm incubating right now and like to learn what I can. Do you know what the cause was for that one not to hatch?

Quote:
I've started another thread, just in case some people only came here to see cute, ALIVE babies... I try to be sensitive like that.

New post is here .

I do not know why the chick didn't hatch, but I have a feeling it's because it was heavily involved in a broodypoo mess. There was lots of dried on poo stuck to the egg and it may have caused part of the problem. I REALLY wanted this chick to live as the other three eggs from the same hen didn't give me anything. The mother is a solid white EE and she's just the prettiest thing - well, there's always next time right?!

*Edited to add the right link!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom