Surrogate Mom?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by EdistoChicks, Jul 27, 2010.

1. EdistoChicks

EdistoChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Edisto Island, SC
    I bought some buff orph eggs on ebay. I have two orph's one is a nearly 5 month old pullet, the second was supposed to be a 5 month old pullet but is developing a large comb, waddles. I have eggs pipping as we speak, can I put the babies with the pullet, will she act as their mom or could she be too young? I was going to put them outside in a closed in area, but I could also keep them in a brooder inside. I just want to make sure these little ones make it!

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    She won't take care of them unless she is broody already.

3. EdistoChicks

EdistoChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Edisto Island, SC
    I take it that they can't be broody until after they start laying? I know this particular pullet was very gentile with a group of guinea keets. They would hide under her. I guess I can keep them inside for a few weeks and then take them out. It is so hot out there, no heat lamp would be necessary out there [​IMG]

4. abooth

abooth Chillin' With My Peeps

I put RIR chicks in with my silkie pullets that had never laid eggs (*although they are old enough to lay). The pullets and even the rooster parented the chicks beautifully. Honestly I didn't "put" the chicks with the silkies, the chicks adopted the silkies as their new parents after their own mother was killed by a predator. The silkies let the chicks snuggle up under them and everything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by