Survey: house ducks, noise comparisons

dave was here

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 10, 2014
Hello!

I'm starting a short, simple survey to collect information about various duck breeds and how noisy they are. This survey will compare the quack loudness and quack frequency of various common duck breeds. The survey is 5 short pages long with 10 questions total and should take about 5 minutes to complete. The results of the test are publicly available for all at the bottom of this post. The purpose of this survey is to help people pick what breed of duck they want to keep as house pets in an urban area with neighbors close by (such as an apartment, for example).

The breeds included in the survey are those that Metzer Farms sells (see this page for details). You may take the survey even if you have got the ducks from elsewhere, as long as the breed is on the list. However, if the breed you have isn't on the list, I can try to add it, just send me a message and I'll see what I can do!

edit - here is a list of breeds in the survey. I will update this as I add more!
  • Black Swedish
  • Blue Swedish
  • Black Runner
  • Blue Runner
  • Chocolate Runner
  • Fawn and White Runner
  • Buff
  • Cayuga
  • Pekin
  • Jumbo Pekin
  • Grimaud Hybrid Pekin
  • Golden 300 Hybrid Layer
  • Khaki Campbell
  • Mallard
  • Rouen
  • Welsh Harlequin
  • White Crested
  • White Layer
  • Call

You may take the survey by clicking here. You can edit your response in the future by vising this link again. On pages 3 and 4, you will be asked to rate each duck breed on a scale of 1 to 10. If you don't have the breed, click "N/A" and leave the box blank.

You can see the combined results of all completed surveys by clicking here. These are the combined results of everyone who has completed the survey!

Note - Individual responses are public. If you type in your own comments, they will be visible to the public. However, your identity and IP address are anonymous and no personal information is required to complete this survey. Also, this survey is in no way related to Metzer Farms! This is unofficial!
Note 2 - This survey is limited to 1 response per computer!
Note 3 - This survey is limited to 100 responses and 10 questions total due to free account limitations. But I think this is more than enough!

In case links are broken for whatever reason, here are all the direct links.
Metzer Farms - Duck Breed Comparisons http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm
Survey Link https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KNTY6B2
Survey Results https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-ZLJ95C2L/

Finally, if you have any suggestions or feedback please let me know. And if you like this survey, please share it and help out! Thanks!

Last edited:
I've edited the questions a little bit, I made the number of ducks on pages 3 and 4 optional. No need to keep typing 0 in each box if you don't own the breed now!

I've also edit the question
"Do you live in an apartment complex with neighbors close by?"
to
"Are your neighbors in close vicinity to where you keep your ducks (apartments, townhouses etc)?"

in order to help clarify things. I apologize for any confusion or difficulties!

I've added "Call" to the list of breeds. I'm going to edit my original post and the survey intro to show what breeds are in the survey. If you want, you can re-take the survey and edit your current answers.

Thanks for the input so far everyone! Let me know if you have any breeds I can add to the list!

I filled it out, i think also size of flocks matter in this like i see a poster say there call is loud but doesn't quack much, whereas mine are VERY Loud but i keep a good sized flock... my pekin you can hear for miles but again with a half dozen communicating to themselves it would be bound to be louder than if someone kept a pair penned close together.. mine free range and if they get separated will call for miles to get the others lol

The buffs go in crazy spurts, again though i have a big flock here... dozens of ducks and the majority and biggest flock free range which likely contributes and changes the noise levels.

Last edited:
I filled it out, i think also size of flocks matter in this like i see a poster say there call is loud but doesn't quack much, whereas mine are VERY Loud but i keep a good sized flock... my pekin you can hear for miles but again with a half dozen communicating to themselves it would be bound to be louder than if someone kept a pair penned close together.. mine free range and if they get separated will call for miles to get the others lol

The buffs go in crazy spurts, again though i have a big flock here... dozens of ducks and the majority and biggest flock free range which likely contributes and changes the noise levels.

Mine free range too, and if one part pekin is in the top yard, and her sister is in the bottom yard, everyone in between goes deaf. :)

Thanks for the input! I tried to include something that asks about flock size, but it wouldn't let me due to the 10 question limit...
he.gif

Last edited:
I filled it out. I keep a single Cayuga female as a house duck. She's fairly loud when she's calling for me, I haven't had a silent moment alone since we got her.
duc.gif
She follows me around 'chuckling' every time I move. It sounds like she's laughing, and it's super cute.
love.gif
Thank god she's quiet when bed time rolls around. '

Back
Top Bottom