1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Survey of ducks, please help! (question 1)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Dec 8, 2008.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    hello everyone! During my researching of duck breeds to decide what breed i wanted to get next, i had a hard time finding info i needed. I'm making a Web page on how to keep ducks as pets and i thought i'd make a webpage with an indepth comparison chart of different breeds characteristics to help people in the future. I've seen some charts online, but they often dont contain everything i want to know.

So i thought i'd ask one type of question at a time and collect the responses. Here's the first one:

1.) Please describe in detail the appearance of your duck breed(s)... What color are they when they are babies, and as adults. male/female differences? If your breed (esp. calls and runners) comes in many colors can you decribe what they look like? What is there stance like, how horizontal or upright are they? How skinny/fat are they? Are there any specific traits in appearance for your breed (like beak size, color changing feathers)?

Any and all info you could give me about your ducks appearecne would be greatly appreciated!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have cayuga, pekin, and rouen.

Quote:

3. trulyviolet

trulyviolet Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2008
    1.) Please describe in detail the appearance of your duck breed(s)... What color are they when they are babies, and as adults. male/female differences? If your breed (esp. calls and runners) comes in many colors can you decribe what they look like? What is there stance like, how horizontal or upright are they? How skinny/fat are they? Are there any specific traits in appearance for your breed (like beak size, color changing feathers)?

ok i have meat strain muscovies

they are white with blue eyes and red carunkling

the male is huge, massive
    the females are much more delicate in appearance
    ( and with sweet expressions on their faces......the males LOOK nasty but i found them to be wimps with humans and sometimes with the girls)

they are yellow as babies with flesh colored beaks and feet

muscovies come in all sorts of colors both selfs and pieds

i love that they don't make noise
    the males sound like a sniffing dog to me
    and the girls trill or chirp

they have grown on me and now i doubt i would have any other kind of duck
    they tend to forage and have a sort of level stands to my eye

they don't have a fat layer.....( that is the first thing you will see if you butcher them.....no fat)

but they do appear to be tough and hardy birds

they aren't true ducks but for all intent and purposes fall under the 'duck' umbrella

i got them for slug control and find now
    i try to spend as much time with them as possible......
    they are so peaceful and friendly

vi

~10 orpingtons, 4 muscovy, 3 laperm cats, 3 tunis sheep, 1 BFL wether, 1 nubian doe...... i have got to be out of my mind​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by