Survey: what types of bantam cochins are in demand??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cochin123, Jul 30, 2010.

1. cochin123

cochin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    [​IMG] ok so I am told my dad that I can get another color in cochins ( I have B/B/S , mottled in blue ,and black then white (rec), I have been looking at milles ,but then my dad said " oh by the way no more mottleds or milles [​IMG] , other than that I don¬ít care what color but make sure you will be able to sell hatching eggs to make the some of the money back from your buying the birds/eggs " so on that what color of banty cochins would sell better in my dads words my " soccer balls with wings "( my cochins I have now ) ?
    I am looking at Columbian or barred from Tom, but I was told that those are common [​IMG] [​IMG]
    any help at all i wanted [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

kyle

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  2. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Hi Kyle,
    I'm not sure I would necessarily consider Columbian or Barred "common". I think the most popular (and most shown) are Black, Blue, Buff, Mottled and White. Other (Standardized) varieties you could consider are Barred, Birchen, Brown Red, Columbian, Golden Laced, Partridge, Red, Silver Laced, Silver Penciled, and Splash. And of course anything in Frizzle. Other Standardized colors include Black Tailed Red, Buff Columbian, and Lemon Blue. I think these last 3 varieties are probably the rarest, or least available, of the Standardized colors.

Just keep in mind that the patterned varieties are more difficult to breed to Standard.

You will be pleased with stock in any color that you get from Tom. Whatever you decide, when starting out with a new color or line, it's always best to spend a bit more up front and buy the absolute best stock that you can afford from the best breeder you can find. There are a lot of very good breeders right here on BYC that can hook you up. Another place to check out is Cochins International / CochinsRule.

3. cochin123

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    well i am really good at working with genes ! it is want i am going to mager in [​IMG]
    Hi Kyle,
    I'm not sure I would necessarily consider Columbian or Barred "common". I think the most popular (and most shown) are Black, Blue, Buff, Mottled and White.

and on that i cant sell eggs/chicks/birds from my birds ,they arent the best but better that most if not all that are selling at the same pirce , on here and local [​IMG]
    my hens are $10 to 15 , roos $5-20, chicks start at $2--and eggs are $2 each --think that is to much ?
    sorry for spelling , im on a ipod​

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    silver laced..

5. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:*Major
    Sorry, I can't help it - I'm a spelling Nazi. I know, I know, you're on your phone...but really, there's no excuse. [​IMG]

Anyways, I agree with everything Coopa Cabana said. What you have to remember is, what's "in demand" right now can change by next season...there are "fads" with certain varieties. Everyone might want one variety this year and your egg/chick/bird sales could be through the roof, but then the fad could fizzle out and you'd have a hard time selling them just a few months later.

So, the best advice I've ever read here on BYC is just to raise the variety you like the best, and stick with it until you've made a name for yourself in that variety. I love the look of Columbians (White and Buff), Blue Mottleds, Whites - so that's what I'm starting out with. Eventually I'd like to get into Splash and Lemon Blue too, but I don't want to over-extend myself and get too many varieties all at once. Establish a flock I'm happy with in one color, then move on to the next...

The biggest thing is that Cochins are crazy-competitive. You have to invest in the best possible stock you can afford if you really want to compete. Otherwise, you are going to have trouble selling the eggs/chicks/birds - no one wants mediocre birds.

And lastly, I don't agree with the whole premise of the goal being to recuperate the initial amount spent on the birds. It's a hobby - invest in the birds because you're passionate about them...buy them as a gift to yourself. Don't look at it as: "Which variety will make me the most money?" - that's terrible! Look at it as, "Which variety will make me the happiest?".

6. BoerneChickens

BoerneChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    Too bad your father said no Mille Fleurs - I am having a hard time finding one to add to my flock - I think they are just beautiful.

7. cochin123

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    Quote:yea i am getting the best i can find .
    And lastly, I don't agree with the whole premise of the goal being to recuperate the initial amount spent on the birds. It's a hobby - invest in the birds because you're passionate about them...buy them as a gift to yourself. Don't look at it as: "Which variety will make me the most money?" - that's terrible! Look at it as, "Which variety will make me the happiest?

he olny said that because i am 15 , and about to spend $500 to 700 of my own money [​IMG]

who do you think is the best breeder for Columbians?

and would you what to trade eggs Columbian(mine) for Columbian(yours) or mottled (mine)for Columbian(yours ) [​IMG]

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I would say Wheatens or Brown Reds if you could find them.

9. cochin123

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    Quote:i know who has both but the Wheatens are showable (only in AV or somthing like that )
    and i was thinking brown reds , birchen and columbian i was told that you could breed them togeather and you get all 3 colors , but that in in OEGB ,so i will ask ,, will they ?

10. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    No, any pure colored Cochin has to be shown in Feather Legged. If its just not recognized it can't win champion. Their is not AOV in bantam, there is however an AOC(Any Other Comb) for birds like Cornish and Ameraucanas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by