Survivable? Chick with very Bloodied tail

GratefulChickenChick

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2020
My husband found our young flock (7 weeks old) attacking one of the chicks. The result is a very bloodied tail and zero tail feathers. She doesn’t have any noticeable damage to her vent. We separated her from the flock, and sprayed her with Blue Kote, but I’m hoping someone can weigh in on just how bad this injury is...and if she’s likely to recover.
5B28E1E1-0198-4AF1-BF21-D899B0E14610.jpeg
98FEB7D3-C2CE-4A92-A601-2FB1B187AB1A.png

put vetricyn (maybe even some cow sab) on it and make sure no bugs lay in the wound, as far as the vent area can she still poop/lay eggs? Do you know why they went after her tail?

put vetricyn (maybe even some cow sab) on it and make sure no bugs lay in the wound, as far as the vent area can she still poop/lay eggs? Do you know why they went after her tail?
Although she’s too young to lay, she’s eating/drinking/pooping just fine. I checked on her this morning (she’s inside the laundry room in our chick ICU; no worry about flies) and she’s alert but is picking at the wound some. The sore looks pretty damp so I sprayed it with just a little bit of Blue Kote.

Keeping her from messing with it....big ask! What's the best way to do that?

Is she trying to peck at it now?

When she recovers have a plan on how to reintrodce her as apparently those chicks can be wicked. Putting two of the more timid chicks in with her (once healed) in a side pen next to the others may be a good option so she makes friends before returning to that group.

Back
Top Bottom