Survival in the Air Cell? How long?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 4-H chicken mom, Apr 1, 2009.

1. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Does anyone have a best guess as to how long a duckling can survive in the air cell once they have moved into it? I have a duckling that moved up into the air cell over 24 hrs ago and still no pipping. I can still hear it peeping, but I'm getting a little worried now. [​IMG]

2. gervais22

gervais22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    don't candle you disturb it. It takes time for it to start up again this is whats happening:

break into aircell; begins to breathe; makes noise; pips egg; nostrils open; yolk sac should be completely drawn into body cavity; embryo occupies almost the entire egg except the aircell; aircell very large; still not ready to hatch

3. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Is there a way that ducks can come early whent his happens? If so how early, and still live? One of mine has a huge air cell that is almost half of the e-g-g and we're only on Day 13. I just posted a thread about this a few minutes ago with a diagram of my e-g-g. Im worried because the air cell keeps expanding by the day.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    No one has a guess for me? [​IMG]

5. M0therGoose

M0therGoose Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Pasadena, Texas
    I wish someone would reply because i'd love to know the answer to your question too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by