Survival rate

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SowdersHomestead, Oct 16, 2011.

1. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Out of a batch of 15 chicks 14 arrived alive. Got them home to a warmed brooder and dipped their beaks in water w sugar and let them be. One became very lethargic. Took it and dipped it's beak in the water w sugar from time to time over the next couple hrs. until it died. Later that night two more became very lethargic and I proceeded to do the same to these two until they died.

Is there anything else that could of been done?
    Is a 25% death rate typical? These are cornish X's bought from Meyer Hatchery.

Thanks

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

You can give them electrolytes in there water.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Were they eating? Was their poop normal looking?

I'm sorry you lost some.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I'm not sure about what may have happened to your chickies. I have never used Meyer. I have used McMurray and received 25 live healthy white leghorns and a freebie EE. Contact Meyer and they may send you some replacements.

5. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    i hope not i just ordered 5 dominiques from meyers [​IMG]

6. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Yay Chicks! :

Were they eating? Was their poop normal looking?

I'm sorry you lost some.

They all seemed to be active. They are all yellow and fuzzy so its difficult to know if each one was eating and drinking. I left the food out for the first three hrs so they could only have the sugar water. Droppings ranged from regular to runny.

This is my first batch of chicks and am just trying to find out if there is something different I need to next time to have a better survival rate.​

7. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    When we first brought home our Cornish X we gave them a couple of bard boiled eggs to help with the shipping shock. It really seemed to help them out.

8. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I got 15 chicks from meyer mid september. One was DOA and the other 14 are well and thriving. They are 4 weeks old now. I had one that had a bit of a pasty butt but I offered water with ACV from the start and the pasty butt issue was soon resolved on its own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by