survival rates in usa

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by orientphoenix, Jun 20, 2011.

1. orientphoenix

orientphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    while i was jogging i saw a golden pheasant on the loose here in northern California it got me thinking would it survive here, it does not snow in the winter and summers r hot as hell

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. philter4

philter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Placerville CA
    It is a captive escapee and as such is probably used to the climate. Even though the birds live in places with cold winters and warm summers they have been in captivity so long that they are adapted to the conditions. It will more likely be eaten by a predator as in our care we give it protection and even though instincts will help, it hasn't survived from hatchling avoiding foxes and coyotes.

My guess is that it will do fine as long as it has a steady supply of water and can avoid being eaten.

3. orientphoenix

orientphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    well it escaped in a rich neighborhood near a really big park with a lot of trees and a long big river

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    Quote:Well, as long as it doesn't get run down by a poodle or a BMW, it should do just fine. [​IMG]

5. pheasantfreak

pheasantfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Preston, idaho
    there is always a chance it will live but it will stand out like a sore thumb to hawks and other predators

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by