Survived first attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by nova022, Jan 1, 2013.

1. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    When I first decided I wanted to raise chickens I read as much as I could about predator proofing my coop and run and it appears it was worth the effort and investment. My husband was not happy with the expense and extra work of enclosing the entire run with hardware cloth and felt chicken wire or field fence would work just fine. After tirelessly explaining the need for hardware cloth (he called it nagging) he finally gave in and used hardware cloth. He thought putting it on the floor of the run was over kill and he thought putting double latches on all the doors was ridiculous, but I explained some more and he did it. After the chickens were safely ensconced in their little fortress, I asked for a game camera for Christmas and happily I received it and sat it up right away.

When I came home the day after Christmas I found the tarps I had put up to block the cold wind on two sides of the run torn off and all the collard and cabbages I had planted along the perimeter dug up and trampled. The covered fenced area (the none hardware cloth) where I let the girls forage when I am outside was mangled in several places and pulled away from the posts. The girls were all in the coop and would not come out and the 12 week olds were in their box in their grow out pen huddled in a corner acting hysterical.

I took the card out of the game camera and viewed the events that had occurred. It appears two dogs, lab size, but I don't know the breed for sure had visited the chickens from 12:59 until 3:07 trying to get to the girls. Fortunately they were unsuccessful but I have 70 some pictures showing them digging, jumping on and chewing on the fencing and generally terrorizing the chickens.

I am so glad I read the information on this site before building the coop and run. Thanks everyone. .

2. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

I'm so glad it worked out for you and your flock!! Congrats on building them a safe home! Glad you kept 'nagging' the husband and I'm sure he is glad now also! (even if maybe he won't admit it.... )

I really think if we figure out what it really costs us in time and dollars to raise our chicks to egg laying age and beyond then the extra expense is worth it. To me it is worth it just to not loose a member of our flock!

Again.... congrats on your safe fence and flock! You did good! [​IMG]

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    And you even have photographic evidence to identify the dogs! Glad you er..um..nagged the husband!

4. nova022

Aug 3, 2012
    Thanks, I am so happy that it ended well for my flock. I love watching their antics and taking pictures of them.

5. Greyfox Farm

Greyfox Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on building a safe home for the girls. Here's a suggestion for the next present that might come in handy:
    [​IMG]

A .17HMR makes for safe birds.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Congrats on the safe coop! [​IMG] That is a good feeling! Do you know who owns the dogs? I would count on them coming back so be prepared!

7. nova022

Aug 3, 2012
    I see your point...................

8. nova022

Aug 3, 2012
    No, I have never seen them before. We have driven around the area a couple times in the last few days, but have not seen them and hardly ever see stray dogs around. We are in the process of fencing the back, so hopefully we will get the fence up before they have a chance to come back.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nagged? Isn't that in the "Good Wives' Manual"? The Princess has assured me of that fact.

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by