Surviving The New Year's Day Massacre (Unknown predator & Dog)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lmschladant64, Jan 4, 2017.

1. lmschladant64

lmschladant64 Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    Sorry if the title offends anyone but it has been a couple of rough days and I didn't know how else to start this......
    Background: I awoke to chaos in the chicken yard (yes, I left the coop door open so girls could come out into their fenced yard in the AM---have done this since day one with no problems....this freedom has been revoked!) so I came out to see something going over the fence but more devastating was one of my dogs in the yard (I know....you can't trust them...but I honestly don't know how she even got in there but contribute it to adrenaline of reacting to predator who she could not catch being very overweight). Lost 3 that AM (1 totally "disappeared" 1 found about 200 yards away and one outside of yard). Anyhow.....purpose of post is my about my survivors: I had 2 I determined were most seriously injured and put them in a dog create in the house. the one with least visible injuries died Tuesday morning. My Broody hen is hanging in there with quiet a bit loss of skin to the neck area. I have cleaned it 2x daily with Theracyn and apply Triple antibiotic ointment. She is up on feet regularly and bright eyes with good neck movement. I do have Blu kote spray but have not used it yet since she is isolated indoors. Major immediate concern is lack of eating and yellow tinted liquid poop. I have given water via syringe and she takes it well. I know I have to worry about future infection as the amount of healing is pretty intense but concerned about getting her through the initial shock period. How concerned should I be she is not eating? Should I try to force feed or just keep giving fluids and let her continue to "chill"? Electrolytes?? If so what and how often?? I am in a turmoil of "how much do I intervene" and even considered if she would be better of if she had died.....but she is "the mama hen of the flock". No vets who take chickens in area. Any suggestions on her care are greatly appreciated but please refrain from "prevention posts"....I know my mistakes and and beating myself up pretty badly over this incident. TIA

2. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Just to clarify, when you say your broody hen, do you mean she's currently sitting on eggs or she's just the one which usually broods eggs?

3. lmschladant64

lmschladant64 Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    No Rooster (and harvest eggs daily) so she just likes to sit on them....also seems to "mother" rest of flock. I have only had them all since June but the person I "inherited" from also referred to her as Broody Hen.

4. Adalida

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    I don't have much experience with broodies besides breaking them, so I wondered if she was maybe freaked out if her eggs got destroyed during the incident. But it doesn't sound like that's the case. What are you offering her for food? Have you tried scrambled eggs, oatmeal, or anything that she's particularly fond of?

5. Adalida

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    If she's the flocks mother hen, she might be pining for company. Can you put the dog crate outside so she can visit with the other chickens, if the weather is mild enough?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by