Survivorman just ate a boobie (a sea bird)

PurpleChicken

Rest in Peace 1970-2018
12 Years
Apr 6, 2007
Iceland
He caught it, did a rough job of processing it, and seemed to enjoy eating it.

One of my silkie roos would have made a much better meal.

love those shows!...him and the other one??(cant think of his name right now!..
he.gif
)...Bear!..thats it..lol...did you see when he was set adrift on the ocean....in a little rubber raft...with the sharks..then he lost radio contact with the t.v. crew..he panicked...that was a good one..
smile.png
, Wendy

Les Stroud is great. I've seen all the ones currently airing, I'll be happy to see some new ones.

I don't care much for Bear Grylls. He seems to go out of his way for the gross-out, and eats all kinds of really disgusting stuff with perfectly edible (and palatable) plants right next to it. Plus the way he dashes through all kinds of terrain, he's reckless, and folks could get killed trying a lot of the stuff he does. Of course, he has his camera crew along if he screws up too much.

Les is just out there on his own. He really has to survive, he can't bum a sandwich from the camera crew.

Neither one of them seemed to know what to do with cattails, though. Les only ate the green shoots, and Grylls ate the wrong part of the root. He ate (or claimed he ate) the little thin thready roots, said it was like spaghetti. I know from personal experience that those are tough and fibrous. He ignored the long tubers that are about finger-thick. Those are full of a very pleasant tasting starch. You can peel the roots and fry, boil, steam, or roast them. Sort of potato-like, but smaller. You have to spit out fibers. But tastes ok, and nourishing. You can separate the fibers and have sort of a wet flour, too, if you have time to mess with it. Crumbly flat-bread of a sort, but I opt for steaming or frying, unless there's some kind of regular flour to mix with it, or something to make soup from, then that wet flour would make it thick and rich, like a thick stew or gravy.

Last edited:
Just don't let Les have a pocket knife! It gives me the willies. Does he cut himself on purpose because it is good for the ratings (the 5 of us that watch) or does he need a refresher in scouting?

Like a few of you said Les is cool and he cracks me up too. He made another
show where he re-did a fawmhouse in Canada to live off the grid. It was one
of the better "green" type shows I've seen.

As a sea kayaker one of my favorites is yaking Alaska. Although if it was me I'd
show up cold and wet at the door of AKABirdBrain's house.

I don't go anywhere without my survival knife on my belt loop or in my pocket.
But then again I haven't cut myself while in the Amazon.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
He is a bit of a klutz, at times. I think that's one of the reasons I like him, he makes some of the same dumb mistakes any of us might make in a similar situation. Then you get to see how to survive in spite of screwing up.

These shows have caused me to think a lot about what to keep in my car, and what kind of emergency supplies and tools I want to keep around.

Awwww......This makes me sad. I like boobies! I saw quite a few of them on my trip to the Galapagos Islands. They're beautiful birds!

(I know, spoken like a true bleeding-heart vegetarian!)
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom