Suspect Cocci...starting corid

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dixiebeast, Aug 12, 2011.

1. dixiebeast

dixiebeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    Ok...yesterday afternoon I noticed one of my hens was very quiet...too easy to handle for her...kinda droopy acting...got worried fast! Forced her water...she wouldnt eat treats,grass clipping,nothing,didnt even try and get my shoelaces like usual.I gave her sugar water this morn and I found one blob of poo that was clear/pinkish.Went straight to tractor supply and got Corid %20 powder.I did half a tsp to a gallon and put that in the waterers in both coop/runs.I also dropped her some directly and after the sugar water this morn she did atleast put up a fuss.I see no other symptoms,vent is clear,comb is the same light pink the other hens is(thier normal color).She is 17 weeks wednesday.I hope I am on the right tract!

Oh and no foamy/wormy poo in coop either!

Pray I am on the right tract!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Hopefully that is what it is and she clears up quickly. [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I recommend you continue to completion with the corid treatment. It's possible she might be ready to lay her first egg and might be eggbound.

4. dixiebeast

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    I have considered that...I think I will try a warm soak this evening but I am unsure how to tackle that! Any suggestions?![​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Fill a container with warm water halfway up her sides. Gently massage her underside for about 20 minutes. Then wear a disposable plastic glove and put some olive oil on your finger and insert it in her vent checking for obstructions. Remove your finger and put olive oil around her vent area. The warm water will expand her innards, the massaging will help the egg move along. The finger in the vent will help stretch it and the olive oil will make it easier for her to lay the egg. Let's hope that between the corid treatment and the soaking, one or the other will take care of this problem.
    I forgot to add that you should visually inspect her for lice/mites as well. Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  6. dixiebeast

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    I have heavily inspected her for everything! I was happy to feel her crop had something in it this morn since yesterday it didnt!I have looked at her vent but I am kinda nervous about the rest(gloves and oil!)! I need to get over it because I have a feeling I will have to do it alot for now on with my new flock!I dont even have a first egg yet!Yikes this is getting scary!LOL
    I am going to try the soak and massage this eve and enlist help with the rest(managing her if she puts up a fuss) so I can be sure I do all I can for my gal!

7. dixiebeast

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    Oh and THANKS TO EVERYONE! without BYC I wouldnt have known where to even start...I spent my first week on here reading EVERYTHING and when my dog got my Roo monday(he is doing AWSOME!) I was able to start proper aid for him before I sat at the puter...I feel like a better chicken owner having learned so much just this past week!

8. dixiebeast

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    UPDATE>>>got home and found more obvious poop with a tiny bit of blood...I have not separated the one hen since I am treating everyone but looks like I was catching it early...I think I am suppose to do a 5 day run on the corid? But I was hoping Someone(DAWG Maybe since he is everyones info source...hehe) can tell me how long until I should see clear poo? My hen is already perkier!

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:You have to ensure that she is drinking the treated water to be effective. You might have to orally syringe feed her the solution...without a needle. You should see some improvement in a few days if she's drinking the treated water. Here's the poop chart to help you for future reference:
    http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

10. dixiebeast

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    Thanks...I just checked everyone in the coop(4 alltogether) while they are on roost...found poop with obvious blood but not under the hen that was acting ill...of course they may have changed spots but it was very fresh...good news is she was more vocal when I went in...all others act normal so I hope I am catching it quick...I am also treating my Bantam flock across the yard just in case.The only ones I have not treated are a pair of 2.5 week old chicks in a third coop but they are on the medicated feed.My infected group is 16 weeks and 17 weeks...My bantam group is a mature pair(IDK exact age) and 11 week old pair...Crossing fingers and sending up prayers.I know they are just chickens but I waited 16 years to get them...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by