Suspect of poor quality feed.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by VanUnamed, May 24, 2019.

1. VanUnamed

VanUnamed In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2018
    Romania
    Hello,
    I have a suspect that the new brand of feed I bought is of poor quality. I have some laying hens, that were on a feed store feed before, that costed the equivalent of 22 USD per 30kg (66lb) bag. They were laying fine. 16.5% protein, all minerals (basically the usual recipe of grains, soya, and minerals).
    Then i found another supplier, that sold 20kg (44lb) for about 10-11 usd, the brand name seemed nice, they even wrote what kind of GMO soya it was and origin of ingredients.. and what happened? well. Within a week or so, egg production dropped significantly and it has been low since. I didn't think much about it, then I figured that I have a "control subject". I have a cornish cross hen that we keep as pet, she is 1 year old, and had been fed 50% the old feed, 50% wheat, as she wasn't laying for a long time. Well. She started laying again in spring. whereas the other stopped. The only note is that the new feed was 2 months old. the formula of the feed written on the label is pretty much the same of the other feed, but what is written does not guarantee that they did put in what's written on. the egg production drop feels a lot like depleting nutrients in the hens to me. Any thoughts?

Texas Kiki likes this.
  2. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
    The new feed may or may not be as good as the other brand. Switching feed suddenly can cause them to stop laying for awhile as they adjust to the new feed.

I try different feeds frequently, but I always mix it with the other feed for a few weeks so it's not a sudden change.

However, if the first feed you were using was fresh, and the new feed is months old, then the nutrition goes down as it ages. So even if it was very good to begin with, it's not very good by the time it gets to the chickens.

Glad to hear you have more than one choice for feed in your area. We get people posting from some countries that have no properly made feed.

3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    This second feed ..is it specifically made for LAYIng hens?

I'm curious about the calcium levels in each feed.

Can you take pictures of each feed bad's tag?

Also are both of the feeds a crumble or pellets or is one a whole grain type feed?

4. VanUnamed

VanUnamed In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2018
    Romania
    hello,
    the 1st one was not specifically made for laying hens, the new one is indeed for laying hens.I will take pictures of the new one, i am not sure if I have one of the old. both are pellets.

Texas Kiki likes this.
  5. VanUnamed

VanUnamed In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2018
    Romania
    I have given much more feed of the original one, plus I havefeed them scraps of cartilage and stuff from a batch of cooked bones, all they managed to do in 2 days... 1 shell less egg. I dont know, maybe it takes time to rebuild nutrients?

CindyinSD likes this.
  6. DellaMyDarling

DellaMyDarling Songster

Dec 13, 2017
    Mass Hilltowns
    You do keep some free choice oyster shell/calcium available?

Any weather changes?

7. VanUnamed

VanUnamed In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2018
    Romania
    yes I do, and yes it is getting warmer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: