Suspected Cocci

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlove<3, Jul 25, 2011.

1. chickenlove<3

chickenlove<3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    I have a young hen who's only about 3 months old who I suspect has cocci. I found her in the coop with all the others looking very lethargic and wouldn't even pick her head up. I brought her inside and found that her vent had bloody stool on it, and I suspected from these symptoms that she has cocci. She is a white-crested black polish, and one of her sisters just died a few days ago, and I now believe of the same thing. I am going to get some corid today to treat her, but she won't eat or drink anything so I didn't know if there's anyway to get it into her or save her or if she's too far gone. The symptoms just appeared today, but I'm afraid she could have had this for a longer time without me noticing. Also, I want to make sure the rest of my flock doesn't get it, and didn't know if I should treat them all, and if I needed to bleach their coop or disinfect it in case there was anything on the floor, or if that wouldn't help? Any help would be great, thanks!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.
    Once you mix the corid solution, draw it with a syringe (without needle) or use an eyedropper, pull her wattles down so that her mouth will open and shoot the solution in her mouth, she should swallow it on her own. Continue doing this during the day ensuring she gets enough to be effective to treat the cocci. Be patient doing this, it will take a few days for her to hopefully show signs of recovery. Also, carry through with the full treatment.
    I recommend you go ahead and treat the rest of your flock, there is no withdrawal period with corid. Bleach wont kill cocci, it's a protozoa, use ammonia and wear gloves and mask when you disinfect.

3. chickenlove<3

Oct 17, 2010
    thank you so much! Also I didn't know if this type of cocci could be spread to my other animals; we have ducks and turkeys, and also to cows and goats? I didn't think it could but I just wanted to be sure...also it can't affect humans?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    chickenlove<3 :

thank you so much! Also I didn't know if this type of cocci could be spread to my other animals; we have ducks and turkeys, and also to cows and goats? I didn't think it could but I just wanted to be sure...also it can't affect humans?

Cocci is species specific, cant affect cows, goats nor humans. Just dont eat dirt or poop from the chicken pen.[​IMG]

5. tmasker

tmasker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Central Florida
    Sound like what happened to my Polish chicken, Polly, just Wednesday. She was so weak it was so sad. She couldn't hold up her head or stand up. We treated her with tetracycline for infection and fed her yogurt thinking it was moldy feed. She couldn't eat so we tried to keep something in her crop! We thought it was the heat since we are in central Florida, but found the moldy food. It was really important to keep her from starving. I can tell you feeding her with a syringe is a two person job even as weak as she was. The good news is she is back in her run and is back to her old self, chasing the young Frizzles [​IMG] Good luck and let us know how it goes! [​IMG]

6. chickenlove<3

Oct 17, 2010
    ok thanks for all the help! She must have been too far gone because she just peacefully went up to heaven. I am still going to treat the rest of my flock to make sure nothing else happens.

7. tmasker

tmasker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Central Florida
    Sorry to hear of your loss. RIP Polish....

8. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm sorry, chickenlove. Sometimes birds just don't show symptoms until it's too late. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by