Suspected coccidiosis. Help wanted please. I cant find Amprol

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sararoni, Dec 29, 2012.

1. sararoni

sararoni Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    chicago
    One of my chickens had suspicious reddish droppings in the morning.
    They all eat, drink act normal to me but I am worried.
    I introduced a new chicken last Sunday (6 days ago).
    I read Amprol is needed but I only can find it online and it will take too long to arrive because of the hollidays.
    Please advise me what to do to treat.
    I put a clean dropping board in order to check tomorrow.
    I gave them some yogurt.
    The feed store I asked had some chick medicated feed only. I think it has amprolium inside.
    Will using that help? My chickens are 7, 12 and 16 months old.

Thanks a lot in advance

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop

Medicated chick feed only helps build up immunity if they are introduced to that disease. Try to find Corid for treatment. There is a article in my signature on cocci that would help. Chickens also shed their intestinal lining. It looks pinkish.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Usually when a chicken is brewing a case of coccidiosis they will not feel well and will stand around fluffed up, not very interested in food. Sometimes they will drink a lot. Usually by the time they have a heavy enough load of cocci and enough damage to show bloody poops they are pretty sick a should be showing other signs. Note that both times I said USUALLY! Birds can hide their illness very well.

So, if you want to be on the safe side it certainly will do no harm to treat them. Look for Corid, as willowbranchfarm mentioned. Most feed stores have it in the cattle section. LIquid or powder, labeled for calves. Do you have a Tractor Supply store near you?

Medicated chick starter does contain amprolium but not in sufficent levels to cure an outbreak, only to help prevent.

4. sararoni

sararoni Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    chicago
    I am watching them like an hawk.
    They seem active and eating well.
    In one of the poops I again saw some small reddish parts.
    I keep their coop cleaned daily from droppings and unless the new bird brought it I should have been safe.
    The article is very helpful, thank you.
    I will see if I can find some corid. I was asking amprol around and 2 feed stores I asked didnt know of it.
    Tractor supply is 45 miles away but that might be better than ordering it online and wait.
    Thank you very much.
    I am really hopping it is not something bad ......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by